Discourses by Brigham Young

Posted by: Andee / Category: , ,


I ran into an old copy of Discourses by Brigham Young while with my family. The book was published in 1941, but originally copyrighted in 1925 by Heber J. Grant. Since the book was so old, and obviously well-used, I wanted to take it with me. I wanted to see exactly what my Grandfather was talking about, what he had studied, what he had believed... and how in the world he could have believed it.

The book was purchased second hand, there are notes written on the sides of the pages, as well as line after line of highlighted text. Some of the highlighted text screams out to me immediately, especially quotes like, "Ever since I knew that my mother was a woman I loved the sex, and delighted in their chastity," and "It is the privilege of a mother to have faith and to administer to her child; this she can do herself, as well as sending for the Elders to have the benefit of their faith."

Here are more quotes from Brigham Young that makes me wonder why the church still looks at him with pride:

"A good housewife, whether she possesses much or little, will have a place for everything she has in the house, and make her house orderly and comfortable, and everything when wanted can be found in its place." 9:157
"Do not marry unbelievers- Be careful, O ye mothers of Israel, and do not teach your daughters in future, as many of them have been taught, to marry out of Israel. Woe to you who do it; you will lose your crowns as sure as God lives." 12:97
"One of the first transgressions of the family called Israel, was their going to other families or other nations to select partners. This was one of the great mistakes made by the children of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, for they would go and marry with other families, although the Lord had forbidden them to do so, and had given them a very strict and stringent law on the subject. He commanded them not to marry young gentiles, but they did and would do it." 16:11

Those quotes are not extremely shocking considering the time of which they were written. Most women were housewives at that time. It's just how it was. There is no excuse for it, but it was how it was.

The quotes I found that screamed, "AHA!" were the quotes highlighted and marked with a bookmark left by the original owner:

"...Are you not aware how easily we may be deceived?" 3:156
"There are many Elders in this house who, if I had the power to mesmerize that vase and make it dance on that table, would say that it was done by the power of God. Who could tell whether it was done by the Power of God or the Power of the Devil? No person, unless he had the revelations of Jesus Christ within him. I suppose you are ready to ask Brother Brigham if he thinks the power of the Devil could make the vase dance. Yes, and could take it up and carry it out doors, just as easy as to turn up a table and move it here and there, or to cause a rap, rap, rap, or to bake and pass around pancakes, or to get a hold of a person's hand, and make him write in every style you can think of, imitating George Washington's, Benjamin Franklin's, Joseph Smith's, and other autographs. Can you tell whether that is by the power of God or by the power of the Devil? No, unless you have had the revelations by Jesus Christ." 3:157

It seems pretty damned convenient to me that Brigham Young could be the only one to know if his "revelations" came from God or Satan. I am surprised that people believed him... they did so probably only because they were afraid of him. He had money and power, and he wasn't afraid to use either one of those things. Heaven forbid you cross him the wrong way, you might just end up dead.

That last quote makes my skin crawl simply because it's painfully obvious that he wasn't a true prophet. If a man walked up to a pulpit, and said these things, you would probably believe he was trying to get people to follow him through fear.

Maybe it's just me, but the more I read from Brigham Young, the more I dislike him. I wonder why there is a University named for him. I wonder why so many people could possibly be proud to remember and idolize him as a man of God... especially after the sexist and racist comments he made in the past.

As I mentioned before, the book has many notes and papers left inside by the previous owner. This is one of the comments written, underlined, and underscored with red ink on a single page of lined paper:

"Elder Packer: Remember in that tithing is not so much a matter of money -as a matter of Faith!"

Hmmm... coming from a man who is directly effected by the large amounts of money the church brings in, I would dare to say that comment is pretty biased. Lets all face it. The many leaders of the Mormon Church are not hurting for money in any way. When they make it that far into church leadership, they are immediately looked upon as righteous, good and faithful men. People buy their books, love to shake their hands. I don't understand why money is a matter of faith. Faith is a matter of faith. Maybe it's just because the church has 2 billion dollars in excess money it claims didn't come from tithing for the mall in SLC. Why would God need more of our money if the church was well off? Especially now that gas prices are insanely high. Wouldn't God want us to take care of our families and make sure they had everything they need? Isn't that more important than giving 10% of everything you have to an already wealthy organization? What sense does that make?

I do realize that I use the term, "What sense does that make?" in almost everything I write on my blog. I have a hard time believing what they dish out, and while I try to make sense out of the things I was taught growing up I find that I can't. It doesn't make sense.

This book only helps me see that.

Oh, and this is a "Church approved" source... just want to throw that out there.

-Andee


2 comments:

  1. Elder Joseph Says:

    About six months into investigating the church I came a cross a website called realmormonhistory. The contents just blew me away and I knew that I couldn't turn back from what I read.

    From the JOD quotes and other church publications,I was shocked at those insults to blacks getting what they deserve for being less valiant, threats to outsiders and members alike, threats to women, the arrogance of it all.

    And it doesn't start or end with Brigham Young.Mormonism makes the nicest of people arrogant and they don't even notice it.Though the leaders were definately the most incredulous bunch of dangerous men.

    The forcing of polygamy onto their first wives and marrying teenagers through their old ages makes me particularly sick.

    The way Brigham Young and fellow LDS False Prophets and Apostles spoke with such authority makes me sick and yet what they spoke and taught in many instances has been shown to be UTTERLY WRONG.

    You could make the point that the church today is different,much more reformed and civil etc but thats due to the influence of Non Mormons via righteous force.

    I think the only reason more Mormons haven't jumped ship is because they have no where else to go.Once you are accustomed to the whole social structure it can be dificult to break away.

    I found it extremely difficult to break away being a friendly type of person who wouldn't want to let anyone down until I couldn't stomach the lessons anymore knowing the blatant lying and misrepresentations.

    Whenever I heard a quote from Brigham Young on Marriage my stomach would churn knowing how he threatened his polygamous wives with eternal eunuch status for disobeying or grumbling.How he claimed that these women HAD to be married to leaders like him for their own eternal sake.

    Quite frankly that must be amongst the worst blasphemy against the biblical person of Jesus Christ who we are told sacrificed his life for their welfare and redemption.

    And don't get me started on the other LDS leaders claiming Jesus was an active polygamist in his day in an effort to justify their own barbaric behavior.

    Its also particularly difficult for me expressing my feelings because I love the majority of the ordinary members so much.Though now after a few efforts to get me to come back they too have learnt the reality of the past from me and now keep away! Close friendships are suddenly struck off simply because they can't answer my concerns, thats what hurts the most.

    Its particulalrly sad that I have ben made to feel guilty about expressing my real concerns as to why I stopped attending and worst still is when members of 60 years plus didn't even know the real version of events themseleves.How on earth could they have been with their head in the sand so long is unbelievable.

    Those good members make the church what it is today and I give credit to them.They are far to good to be beguiled by Joseph Smiths lies.

  1. Andee Says:

    Elder Joseph,

    Brigham Young was the most racist, sexist, arrogant person I have ever had the displeasure of reading about.

    I can't understand why people celebrate him. AT ALL!

    I know there are other church officials who are just as bad, and I will read up on them as I come across them.

    Why would anyone want to go to a university named after this asshole?

    -Andee