The Missionaries Were Here!

Posted by: Andee / Category: , , , ,


I was putting the finishing touches on my peach and cherry pies before they went into the oven. I heard a knock at my door. I knew it wasn't my Mom... I wasn't expecting her for a couple of hours. I had no idea who it was.

I went to the door and looked through the peep-hole to see two men standing and talking with each other. One had a purple shirt, the other red, so I didn't think they were Mormons. I wasn't expecting them, and the fact that they showed up on Thanksgiving Day unannounced kind of ticked me off, so I didn't answer the door. Man in the purple shirt reached into his bag and grabbed a pamphlet of some kind in my door. After they were safely away, I opened the door to receive my mystery surprise.

This is the front page of the pamphlet:

"Would You Like to Know the Truth?"



THE truth about what? About some of the most important questions that humans have ever asked. Perhaps you have wondered about such questions as these?



"Does God really care about us?"



"Will war and suffering ever end?"



"What happens to us when we die?"



"Is there any hope for the dead?"



"How can I pray and be heard by God?"



"How can I find happiness in my life?"



Where would you look for answers to these questions? If you went to libraries or bookstores, you might find thousands of books claiming to provide the answers. Often, though, one book contradicts the other. Others seem valid at the moment but soon become outdated and are revised or replaced.



There is, however, one book that contains reliable answers. It is a book of truth. Jesus Christ said in prayer to God: "Your word is truth." (John 17:17) Today we know that Word as the Holy Bible. On the following pages, you will get a glimpse of the Bible's clear, truthful answers to the above questions."



Hmmm... I didn't know until my Mom arrived that the pamphlet was from the Jehovah's Witnesses. Super.

Here is something I noticed right away...

Look at how the beginning of the pamphlet begins... asking all the questions about God and life after death...

Now, go to Mormon.org and look at the front page.

Similar? Huh?

I guess it's a good way to capture someone's attention. Claiming you have the answers and everyone else is wrong.

Good thing I know better!

This Thanksgiving I have something else to be thankful for... I am thankful that I no longer feel guilty if I don't want to talk to total strangers who show up unannounced at my door on a holiday.

I am so glad I am over that!

Andee


0 comments: