Anonymous Comments

Posted by: Andee / Category: ,

It's been a little while since I have posted anything about the Mormon Church, and it's because I thought I was getting over it. I really did. Until yesterday.

Back in November I wrote an article about the Mormon Temple. I stand behind everything I said in that post, and I don't regret it at all. Thing is, someone else felt the need to remind me of my position. Here is the quote from an anonymous person:

"I hope that you truly understand and recognize the position that you as a "former LDS member" have put yourself in. Good luck to you"
Now, my first reaction reading that was anger. This anonymous person (who probably fears using a real or username on my blog because they shouldn't be reading it as a "good mormon" anyway...) felt the need to try and scare me. He/she thinks something truly horrible is going to happen to me because I left.

I can't get over how arrogant the comment was.

A friend of mine on PostMormon.org thought:

On the one hand there's heavy-handed but unspecificed menace and threat of some undefined punishment.

But then there's the 'good luck to you', as though they care about you even while applying the menace.

Manipulative bullying in stark relief

I couldn't agree more.

So, "anonymous," since you are so quick to believe I am wrong here... please prove me wrong. Show me. Please. I think these words from another friend might get through what I am trying to say...

"I think I understand what you understand about the 'position' I am in, but maybe, as a former member, I don't truly understand with the same insight that you understand. And that, of course, leaves some of my readers completely without understanding.

So, from the vantage point of membership, and by the sounds of it temple attendance, you are therefore something closer to, or at, a True Understanding. Can you please refresh my understanding?

For that I might be Eternally grateful and would not leave the matter up to luck."


0 comments: