I'm Not Praying Hard Enough

Posted by: Andee / Category: ,


When I was a youngster, I was asked to read the Book of Mormon and pray for a spiritual witness that the Book of Mormon was true. I would feel a warmth in my heart, a burning in my bosom, or a warm and fuzzy feeling. I never got that spiritual witness. Not once. What does that mean?

If a warm-fuzzy feeling means truth, then the absence of that feeling should mean the opposite, right? Not according to some of my friends.

I was told that I wasn't praying hard enough. I should fast for 24 hours and pray. Read the Book of Mormon and pray again and again for its truthfulness to be shown to me from the Holy Ghost. One of my friends even insisted that I wasn't getting a spiritual witness because I had sinned in some way and I needed to repent. I haven't done anything wrong. I don't even drink!

Does it occur to any of these people that I might be right? No. Sure doesn't.

Needless to say, all the Mormons in my life are convinced that I am doing something wrong... whether it's not praying hard enough, attending church meetings, or fasting. As someone said on the PostMormon board this morning, "Whats the deal with fasting anyway?"

Does God listen more to people who are fasting? Does a rumbling belly get his attention? If you pray for someone's health and not fast, will it be the same as if you did? Does God answer your prayers more if you starve yourself? What sense does that make?


1 comments:

  1. Victoria Sacred Says:

    I find it interesting that in the BOM moroni 10:4
    Christ, if these things are NOT true; Christ, will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.

    If I read that right...it appears to my uneducated eyes that you are to pray if it is NOT TRUE and Christ will manifest the TRUTH to you....double negative crap can really getcha....

    daisy may:)