Uhm I don't know if you guys know this.. but baptisms for the dead is in the bible. Look at 1 Corinthians 15:29.
In the afterlife I'm pretty sure it's not a whole bunch of religions. There aren't the Catholics over here and the Mormons over there. You must be watching too much of South Park.
Uhm I don't know if you know this, but there are many things in the bible that you probably choose not to do? Are you okay with taking the Bible, something that has been translated more times than anyone could possibly count literally??
You claim that you are "pretty sure" heaven is a certain way, but I thought all Mormons "KNEW!" Lard knows I did! How is it that you are convinced heaven is a certain way? Where is your proof? Oh, and if you are going to list bible versus to back you up, I need to show you why they don't prove squat.
For example, did you know:
- God punishes Eve, and all women after her, with the pains of childbirth and subjection to men. 3:16
- An uncircumcised boy is to be abandoned by his parents and community. 17:14
- God blessed Abraham by giving him lots of slaves. 24:35
- A child who hits or curses his parents must be executed. 21:15, 17
- Slavery is approved by God, and those who steal slaves must be killed. 21:16
- Those who break the Sabbath are to be executed. 31:14
- God wasn't satisfied with the slaughter of the 3000, so he killed some more people with a plague. 32:35
- If a man has sex with an engaged slave woman, scourge the woman, but don't punish the man. (Even if he raped her?) 19:20-22
- "For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall surely be put to death." Couldn't we try spanking first? 20:9
- If a man has sex with his father's wife, kill them both. 20:11
- If your brother, son, daughter, wife, or friend tries to get you to worship another god, "thou shalt surely kill him, thine hand shall be first upon him to put him to death." 13:6-10
- Kill everyone who has religious beliefs that are different from your own. 17:2-7
- Those who capture slaves and sell them must be executed. 24:7
- Women cannot wear men's clothing and vice versa -- it's an "abomination unto the Lord." 22:5
- God lays down the law on menstruating women. Such women are to God both filthy and sinful, and anyone who comes near them is contaminated by them. 15:19-30, 33
- If a man rapes an unbetrothed virgin, he must pay her father 50 shekels of silver and then marry her. 22:28-29
- A good man never gets near a menstruating woman. 18:5-6
- If a woman refuses to cover her head in church, then her her head must be shaved. 11:5-6
- Wives, according to Paul, must submit themselves to their husbands. 3:18
There are THOUSANDS of other examples listed here from topics from injustice, to intolerance, to downright absurdity. There is also a section for the Book of Mormon. Take a look, I dare you. You will see just how ridiculous this "scripture" is. It's not only scientifically impossible, it's stupid.
So, since baptism for the dead is in the bible, I take it that you follow these other things that are in the bible. You can't have it both ways.
Do you kill people because they have different beliefs than you?
Do you tell people with rebelling children that their children should be killed?
Um Steph, do you wear pants? Because if you do it's an abomination to the Lord!
Do you hide away when Auntie Flow visits every month??
I also have to tell you that you are a complete ass by making the statement that we have been watching too much South Park. What the Hell?? That is the stupidest comment you could possibly make and it makes you look like a moron. Frankly, it says more about you than it does about us. We don't agree with you so you have to throw in childish insults? Is that something Jesus would do? Hmmmmmm????
Those who leave the Mormon Church and those against baptism for the dead have honest problems with the practice. Our points are valid, and it's clear that you are beyond looking at things objectively.
If you are going to leave comments on WindySydney please try to have a solid argument instead of throwing around insults. I have studied and I know what I am talking about. Have you???
You must be watching too much BYU television...