You Were Right, I Was Offended

Posted by: Andee / Category: ,


It has happened to me many times. I will be having a conversation, either online or in my daily life, and someone will deduce that I simply left the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints because someone in the church offended me. It could have been a Young Women's teacher, or bishop... maybe someone you didn't even know that you heard speaking about something.

It's amazing that most Mormons assume that this is why people leave the church. You know what? *THAT* is offensive.

I would be lying if I told you that I wasn't offended. I was.

I was offended by the treatment of African-Americans in the Mormon Church and the fact that they were not allowed to hold the priesthood until 1978. I was even more offended when I read some of the statements from prior prophets and apostles regarding African Americans.

I was offended that I was taught stories in primary and young women's classes that turned out to be untrue. The church lied to me and others.

I was offended when my grandmother couldn't see her own son get married in the temple because some guy thought she wasn't worthy enough. I am still offended by that, and so are many people.

Many relatives of holocaust victims were offended when the Mormon Church baptized thousands and thousands of the victims in the temple. That is most offensive.

Okay, so I was offended. Thing is, it's not something you can fix. These issues will always be there, and no matter how you twist things to believe what you want, it will never ever be okay.


2 comments:

  1. James Says:

    Elder Wirthlen game a pretty good talk last confrence and seemed to speak directly to you.
    "To those who have strayed because of doctrinal concerns, we cannot apologize for the truth. We cannot deny doctrine given to us by the Lord Himself. On this principle we cannot compromise.

    I understand that sometimes people disagree with doctrine. They even go so far as to call it foolish. But I echo words of the Apostle Paul, who said that sometimes spiritual things can appear as foolishness to men. Nevertheless, 'the foolishness of God is wiser than men.'
    "(Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin)

    So you are right when you say that the history of the church will not change. History cannot change. Just keep in mind, "the foolishness of God is wiser than men".

  1. Andee Says:

    The issue James, is that I don't believe for one second those things came from God. I don't buy it. It doesn't add up.

    I haven't strayed, I woke up.