Politics

Posted by: Andee / Category: , , ,


I get frustrated when I talk politics with people in Utah.  Everyone is usually in the same mindset:

Vote Republican, Vote Mitt Romney, Obama = bad, McCain = hero.

The other day I was talking with a co-worker in the break room about politics.  I didn't start the conversation... the other girl did.  She was sitting across the table with a copy of the Ensign in front of her and she started asking me questions.  She knows I don't "care" for the church, and she was one of the first to notice the CTL ring on my left hand.  I don't think she was trying to pick a fight, but I do think she was eager to debate with me.

She asked me who I was going to vote for.

I told her I was voting for Obama.

She asked why I was voting for "Osama."

I HATE THAT!

Why in the world can't you just get his last name right.  He isn't Osama Bin Laden, terrorist in need of kidney transplant... he is Barak Obama, presidential candidate.  

After correcting her on the name, I told her that I agree more with Obama's policy than McCain, and the fact that Sarah Palin made rape victims pay for their own rape kits at the hospitals (this is a rumor I heard, and I have no evidence of it... when I had a couple days off I plan on researching it further) really pissed me off.  I am a femminist, and she isn't.  I don't care for the woman.  At all.

I want the troops home, and she wants them guarding the safety of Iraq.  I get that Iraq needs help, and we should have never been there to begin with.  When I mentioned that, she looked at me like I had grown a third eye or something.  She couldn't believe that I said it.

"We are there to help those poor people!"

"We went there because there were supposedly weapons of mass destruction... they were never found... this was about weapons.  There were no weapons."

"They destroyed the evidence!"

"Yeah, sure they did."

"How do you know there were no weapons?"

"How do you know there were weapons?"

"I listen to the radio! Where do you get your information."

"I watch CNN, Headline news, MSNBC and others constantly when I am home.  I am constantly on my computer..."

"You can't trust the news! They hate republicans! You need to listen to AM Radio! Why don't you like Bush?"

"Why would I like him?  He shouldn't even be president in the first place!  He didn't win the popular vote, and it just so happened that his little brother was governor of the state he needed help from?  Shady much?  Oh, and don't even get me started on the economy..."

"The economy isn't Bush's fault.  It's that black guy!"

I walked out.

Here is the thing.  I hate talking religion and politics at work unless I know it's with someone who can handle it.  There are only a couple people that I can have meaningful conversations with, and I treasure those moments... trust me.  I can't believe that most of the people I come into contact with have no problem calling Obama "Osama."  They think nothing of it.  Not just at work, either... I heard an older couple at Wal-Mart (Gawd, I hate Wal-Mart) talking about Obama being a terrorist in disguise.

This story was 100% true, not made up, and I have the ulcer to prove it.

Andee


5 comments:

  1. Craig Says:

    I would have started swearing uncontrollably.

    "That black guy?"

    Really? Which one was she referring to? Was she saying Obama is at fault for our failing economy? Or something even more ridiculous (and probably racist)?

    Is it possible that the news *seems* biased against republicans because many republicans are immoral scum-bags and don't deserve respect?

    In my opinion, the news is far too nice and lenient with many Republicans (The Administration and Palin/McCain in particular). Even "liberally biased" news agencies like CNN let them lie up a storm and only minimally protest their blatant lack of ethics, morals, and judgement and their obvious see-through, blatant attempts at deception. The problem is that there are too many air-heads like this woman who BELIEVE the shit the Republicans spew, even though it is obviously false and made-up - like for instance Palin's claim that she opposed the bridge to nowhere, or that she doesn't and hasn't taken millions in earmarks from the federal government (while at the same time criticising Obama for doing what she herself and every other politician in both state and federal government does).

    Bloody fucking hell.

  1. purple-goat Says:

    Re: Sarah Palin making rape victims pay for rape kits:
    http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/21/palin.rape.exams/index.html

    Story Highlights:
    While Sarah Palin was mayor, Wasilla charged victims for their rape exams

    Interviews, review of records show no evidence Palin knew victims were charged

    Former state representative says it seems unlikely Palin was not aware of issue

  1. Andee Says:

    Thanks for the comments guys!

    I literally had to walk out of the room. I told her I was "late" from my break, and I wasn't. I couldn't believe she said the things she was saying. What is more is that this girl is getting ready to go on a mission in a couple months.

    *insert mental picture of Andee banging her head against the wall*

    Thank you for the info purple goat! I really appreciate it. Maybe she didn't know about it, I hope she didn't... but someone had to know! How did that HAPPEN? God!

    Andee

  1. Jane Says:

    "The economy isn't Bush's fault. It's that black guy!"


    What?!? Which "black guy"? Did you ask her WTF she meant by that?

    I have no tolerance for stupid people. Sorry about your ulcer.

  1. Andee Says:

    I have no idea who she was referring to! I didn't stick around to find out. I was too angry, and I didn't want to get into a shouting match in my place of employment.

    Ignorant, huh?

    I was steaming for the rest of the day. I still can't believe the whole thing.

    She comes across as the sweetest and kindest girl, but the way she thinks and some of the things she says is insane. I can tell she was raised by strict, republican, Mormon parents. My uncle is the same way.