Mass Resignation

Posted by: Andee / Category: , ,



There are many Post-Mormons, like myself, who don't consider themselves Mormon by any stretch of the imagination, but still haven't officially resigned from the church.

After reading about the church's stance on Gay marriage, I decided that I have had enough. I will no longer be linked to an organization that could treat people so horribly just because they happen to love someone that shares their gender. It's not just gay marriage... it's equality in general. Heaven knows women have had a hard time in the church, lets not even get started on the whole ERA thing...

I asked some folks on the board if we should have a kind of mass resignation... some were very cool with the idea. We will all have the same cover letter, expressing our distaste for any church to tell people they shouldn't have the same rights as everyone else, and then attach a more personal resignation letter to the cover letter.

We would also have a place at the bottom of the cover letter for those members who have already resigned to list their name if they want... so if you have already resigned, but were once a member of the church, you can still be a part of this if you want to!

If you are interested in taking part of the mass resignation, please email me at windysydney@live.com so I can add your name to the list. I will post updates on the mass resignation when more decisions are made!


8 comments:

  1. Elder Joseph Says:

    This sounds Interesting,A Mass Resignation.

    I can't join in as I didn't get baptised (I fought off extraordinary attempts to baptise me for two whole years ).

    Have you seen the Youtube videos about the Church trying to cure young gay members with Aversion Shock Therapy !

    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ilZt88Kt50k

    Diassafection for the LDS inc is gathering momentum ...

    They deserve to loose members with their fanatical stance on things.Its just religious blindness.

    I'm hoping to call on all the inactives who were duped in the last few years and explain to them about the option to resign if they wish.

  1. Andee Says:

    Elder Joseph,

    This is actually going full force now. There are people drafting the official letter and making a website just for this cause. Anyone will be able to sign the letter, even if they are not resigning (although we do hope many will) or if they have already resigned. We are also going to make sure the press knows.

    It has the possibility to grow into a big movement. I hope it does!

  1. Anonymous Says:

    What an excellent idea! When are you planning to send the mass resignation letter? I would love to join, but due to circumstances, would not be able to do so for another month or so. But if you're sending it soon, which I totally understand, you have some anonymous support and best wishes!

  1. Andee Says:

    Anonymous,

    Thanks for the comment!

    We are sending in our letters on July 24, 2008. You are more than welcome to join us if you would like. As soon as we have the website up I will post a link from my blog.

    Resigning is a very personal thing, if you need or want to wait you should :) I certainly took my sweet time making this decisions :)

  1. Unknown Says:

    Congrats on your decision, it feels liberating doesn't it? At least it did for me.

    We got the letter saying it had been forwarded to the stake president so hopefully soon we will be done with this madness. I think I might frame it for me craft room, lol.

  1. Anonymous Says:

    DOH! I should have read the entry above and I would have known the date. Thanks for answering me, any way. :)

    I'm relocating, at which point I will resign. No one where I live has any idea of my disaffection, so it would stir up unnecessary drama at a time when I don't need it. I wish I could join in this endeavor, because this is one of the issues that started me on the high road to "apostasy" (which is a bull@#t word in my book, by the way).

    Thanks for what you are doing. I have many dear friends who are gay. I understand that people have their religious beliefs, though I don't understand the "homosexuality is a sin" thing. But even if they believed that, it never translates to loving the sinner and hating the sin. It results in hating both, which is just plain ugly and cruel.

  1. Hiker Says:

    Hi Andee, I still think of you as Sydney. My name isn't hiker either. Do you know if the web page is up yet?

  1. Andee Says:

    Carlos,

    They are still working hard on the website. They are planning on sending out emails to everyone who sent me their address as soon as the website is ready to go live.

    I was lucky enough to see the preview, and it's awesome. They did great work!

    I promise to keep you updated!!!