We Have No Idea

Posted by: Andee / Category:


I am watching an amazing documentary on MSNBC called "Meeting David Wilson."

A young black man journals his quest to find and meet the family who owned his ancestors during slavery. He meets a white man with his same name, David Wilson, and they have honest and frank discussions about meeting each other under such stressed and unique circumstances.

The film brought me to tears more than once. Imagine being a slave, being something that could be bought and sold to the highest bidder. Something that was disposable... and when I use the word something, I imply that they were not treated as human beings with souls and hearts. they were treated as objects. They were nothing more than property.

How could have human beings done that to other human beings? Where were their hearts? Their souls? Their brains? Was it all about greed? Money? Power? I believe so.

Man's inhumanity to man is the saddest thing imaginable.

As hard as it was to watch the film at times, I realized that I hadn't even come close to seeing how it truly was for David Wilson's ancestors. I only had an hour-long glimpse back in time, and they lived it... day in and day out.

I fight for equal rights for everyone... including all races, genders... no matter what. We need to be good to each other. We need to take care of each other. What is wrong with us?

We should all be equal. Everyone. No matter what. Your skin color, gender, sexuality... that stuff shouldn't matter. Why do so many people think that matters? So what?

Sometimes I have a hard time understanding my fellow human being. Equal rights. For everyone. No matter what. You can disagree with what they do, you can believe whatever you want, but we have no right to judge or limit another person's rights in any way simply because we can.

It's so wrong.

This is why I am so passionate about equal rights. We have no right to treat our fellow man this way. We should have learned from the past. Why didn't we?


2 comments:

  1. Anonymous Says:

    I heard about this program but I didn't watch it. I agree with everything you said. Amen. Somehow these slave owners were able to sleep at night, attend church, and pray- all the while thinking they were in god's favor. It is just another nail in the coffin of religion as far as I'm concerned.

  1. James Says:

    I agree, nobody should be treated subhuman.

    Although I have a couple of things to say about this statement.

    I heard about this program but I didn't watch it. I agree with everything you said. Amen. Somehow these slave owners were able to sleep at night, attend church, and pray- all the while thinking they were in god's favor. It is just another nail in the coffin of religion as far as I'm concerned.

    I could do a pretty big debate on science vs religion thing. I am pretty well informed on each side. All I have to say is that "religious" people having slaves is as much as a nail in religions coffin as the statement "if we evolved from monkeys then why are there still monkeys" is a nail in evolutions coffin. There are so many things you are over looking.