Seminary

Posted by: Andee / Category: , ,


I am not sure how this works for everyone else, but when I was in high school we received what is called "Released Time" to leave the high school for one period and attend a seminary class taught by a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

To be completely honest, I never liked the fact that this occurred, even when I was an active teenager. Why was it that Mormon kids got to do this, but no similar classes were being offered for other religious studies?

I never went to Seminary. I told my parents that I wasn't interested in going to a church class every single day, and they were cool about it. My little brother did attend, and stopped after two semesters. He wasn't getting along with the teacher, and since he had stopped attending church, the teacher was trying to call him out on it in front of the entire class. Did the teacher believe that they had the right to do that? How horrible!

Since my school was extremely small, and mostly Mormon, the other religions were pretty much left out. The released time was usually 6th period, the second to the last class of the day, and when the seminary kids got back to their regular class, they were usually still in the church frame of mind. Most of the time they would call each other "brother and sister" until they snapped out of it.

Some of the kids in seminary tried hard to tell me how much fun it was, and how I was missing out on some wonderful things. They told me they missed me, which was pretty ridiculous because I was right there... how can you miss me if I am right here?!?! When I stopped going to church on Sundays, most of the project work done to make me active again was done after seminary class. I was stopped in the hall about it about 3 times a week. I guess the seminary teacher made a point to tell the students they should make inactive friends active again.

Seminary classes like this are not offered all over. Some communities don't allow for released time, (I don't believe they should... if you offer it for one religion, you should be willing to offer it for all religions. Period.) and students attend seminary early in the morning... before school. The teacher of the seminary class wasn't hired by the school... it was a calling given through the church. Wow, what a lucky calling... "You mean I get to get up at 5 am and teach a group of teenagers about Mormonism? Lucky me!"

Anyway, here are some quotes taken from the recovery from Mormonism webpage about seminary experiences...

I remember one time when my seminary teacher threw the bible across the room and said it was just a book, but the BOM was the holy book and we should respect it more than the bible any day. He also tried to tell us Joseph Smith was better then the disciples of Jesus because they sinned and denied him too much.. What a bunch of crap.. He also got a divorce from a wonderful woman and I last heard he was a lush somewhere, My other seminary teacher committed suicide after his wife left him and took their 5 kids. My other seminary teacher was a great guy who made a grip of money and they lived quite nicely. She was just bored and found a even richer guy to take care of her greediness. Brother Johnson was actually a nice guy and he did not always believe what the prophets said, so he always encouraged us to follow are instincts and to question somethings the prophets taught. I still believe he was a closet disbeliever in the church but went along like the other countless closet disbelievers do.. -Debbie

That quote from Debbie is outrageous. I don't believe for a second that this happens all the time, and I am not claiming it does. Why would her seminary teacher throw a Bible across the room? Isn't the Bible just as important to Mormons as the Book of Mormon? Well... I was always taught that we believed the bible... but I certainly don't remember learning much or reading much about it. It was all Book of Mormon all the time. Weird. Just my experience, though.

...Seminary was within walking distance from the High School. On the class schedule, it was titled "release time"--which meant, as a student, you were legally permitted to leave school grounds for that particular class period. Which also meant, you didn't legally need to attend Seminary. You were granted one class period away from school. That being said, I didn't attend Seminary at all my senior year because fifth period Seminary meant I had a two hour lunch period. -Who Cares


This is exactly what my little brother would do... he would simply go to a friends house and watch television. What a rebel. :)

Seminary was like Sunday School every day. It is one of the ultimate indoctrination tools the church has. However, because of the advanced "Doctrine Education" I received there as opposed to normal church attendance, I was able to see more clearly why the church is false. Most of my knowledge of Mormon scripture, doctrine and expectations came from Seminary. We were told a lot as we were leaving class to resume normal High School classes that we were "re-entering the world", so Seminary was really looked upon as non-Sunday church meetings. In the town I lived in, it was practically a commandment to attend. I always thought it was a little strange that the teachers that taught me the most about the "gospel" were being paid. The church makes such a big deal about everybody being a volunteer, but at the place that I was getting my real church experience, the teachers were paid. -My Song Angel


Seminary classes are a great opportunity to teach the teenagers in attendance of the real Mormon history they don't get in church. Can you imagine the time you have available to these kids? Why isn't that opportunity taken?


7 comments:

  1. James Says:

    Why was it that Mormon kids got to do this, but no similar classes were being offered for other religious studies?

    Well I am sure if other religions were willing to pay for teachers and a building to teach inside of the school system would allow other religions to have the same thing. There are a lot of variables here you aren't considering.


    Seminary classes are a great opportunity to teach the teenagers in attendance of the real Mormon history they don't get in church. Can you imagine the time you have available to these kids? Why isn't that opportunity taken?


    Do you think that parents to tell their kids every detail about their past? Do you think the kids should know every mistake the parent has made?

    What if the parents told one of their kids that the kid was an accident. They really didn't want another kid but it happened anyway. Do you think that kid would be better off not knowing he was an accident and not doubting that his/her parents still want and love him/her?

  1. donangelo Says:

    Hey Syd,

    I know you was really young then.

    But the alarm clock should have went off for many of you then.

    Because syd the reason you all as youth always use to study the bom.

    Is because it once again show that the mormon cult worship and praise joseph smith,and they don't believe in the biblical Jesus Christ, and it shows they don't believe in the holy bible.

    And that is why the mormon cult place the bom and joseph smith.

    Above the biblical Jesus Christ and the holy bible.

  1. Andee Says:

    James,

    You back up the church no matter what, huh? No matter what my topic is, you will debate me because in your opinion, I am wrong and I will always be wrong. I get that, and I understand that my point of view is silent to you. I will reply anyway.

    I don't believe that any religion should have any class during school. Public school, that is. If you are going to put your kids in a private religious school, go for it, but if you are going to do something like this in a public school you should be willing to offer the same classes for all religions. It shouldn't matter what religion should "pay" for it, it's a public school. Public school kids should be learning about things that are fact, not fiction... just my .02.

    I think parents should tell their kids the truth. When parents talk about the translation with their kids, tell them the truth about the translation. How hard is that to understand? The truth. The church's own slogan has "truth" in it... where is this truth? Who teaches the full and COMPLETE truth to people?

    Why is it that grown adults are hiding in their rooms on websites trying to learn the truth that their own church won't teach them?

    Come on dude. Open your eyes.

  1. Michael Carr - Veritas Literary Says:

    I'm guessing that seminary is one of the most effective tools that the church has. Most kids enter with an ambiguous feeling toward the church, like Catholic kids, or Lutherans, but by the time they get out they are often preaching to their parents, nagging their siblings, and with a holier-than-thou attitude. Throw in youth conference and maybe EFY and you've got a bunch of people who are members for life.

    Most of my seminary teachers were decent people, but they did have a tendency to speculate wildly and invent faith promoting stories about their missions or military experiences so outrageous they'd have made Paul H. Dunn blush. Kids ate that crap up, though.

  1. Andee Says:

    I believe most Seminary teachers are good, believing people. I just wish that more of them would take the effort to give these students a COMPLETE story of the church they are learning about.

    These kids are impressionable, and I don't think it's an accident that they are asked to take a church class everyday. The more you talk about the church in a positive way, the more you assume it's good. Therefore you are much more likely to have faithful missionaries if you convince them this is the right thing.

    Not saying that is the case for everyone, but it's certainly the case for some.

  1. Anonymous Says:

    Seminary has changed my life so much for the good! i go early morning before school and the spirit i feel there stays with me through the day. it makes my life wonderful and helps me do well in all of my classes at school. it is such an incredible program to study the Bible, Book of Mormon, and Doctrine and Covenants. This year we studied the Old Testament and I feel like I really truly understand it for the first time. It's amazing and the study helps me stay connected with God to help me make correct choices when there are so many bad influences at school. I love seminary! it is such an amazing program to help any teenager stay connected with God on the right path for their life.
    Adam

  1. Andee Says:

    Anonymous,

    I am really glad seminary helps you in good ways, I just wish the church would use the opportunity to teach the ENTIRE story... not just bits and pieces of what they want you to know.