What?

Posted by: Andee / Category: ,


My friends at PostMormon.org mentioned this little tidbit early this morning. I couldn't wait to get the time to share it with everyone here. Just for reference, I have not seen this message personally because I don't go to church anymore. If there are any practicing Mormons who read this blog, please post and let us know if this is 100% truth!!!

A letter recently read in Sacrament Meeting:


Dear Brethren and Sisters:

Use of Scriptures and Visual Aids in Sacrament Meeting and Stake Conference
We are encouraged by the number of Church members who are actively studying the revealed word of the Lord as found in the scriptures. We note with appreciation that many are also bringing their scriptures to Church meetings and using them as the basis for speaking and teaching.

In order to maintain an atmosphere of reverent worship in our sacrament and stake conference meetings, when speakers use scriptures as part of their talks they should not ask the congregation to open their own books to the scriptural reference. Also, members should not use visual aids and their sacrament meeting or stake conference talks. Such teaching methods are more effective in classroom settings and leadership meetings.


We believe these adjustments will enhance the spirit of our worship services,
Sincerely yours,

The First Presidency

Okay, I really don't understand where they are coming from here! As my Mom mentioned, when people followed along in their own set of scriptures while you were giving a talk (speech) you felt as if people were listening. Visual aids are great for keeping minds wandering from your topic at hand.

What do they have to gain by asking members to stop reading along with their scriptures?

What?


6 comments:

  1. donangelo Says:

    Once again Sydney,

    The mormon cult got sometihng to hide.

    because they know that the bom has no authority and no integrity.

    and they know that the book of mormon it do not line up with the holy bible.

    once again the lds cult is showing the fraud of mormonism and it's leaders.

    because in my christian churches we open up the holy bible,which is the holy word of God, and we are always encouraged to follow along with the preacher by the preacher.

    mormon no more must be the theme at the beginning and the end of the day.

    because once again it shows that mormonism is a cult.

    who is now denying the rights of it's members by now telling them not to follow along for fear of being exposed for the fraud and lies that mormonism is.

    wake up mormons wake up......

  1. Nicko Says:

    blah blah blah donangelo...you wake up.

    This has long been a pretty clear rule of thumb with regards to sacrament meeting. I was taught that in the very first talk I gave about 3 or so months after I was baptised 10 years ago. I think you are totally overreading the issue here.

    Its not that they don't want members to read along with the speakers, its that they don't want the speakers telling the members to open up their scriptures and read along with them. Which is fare enough too. If I am down there and someone is giving a sermon, I don't want them telling me what to do in terms of physical things during Sacrament. It is a time for personal reflection and spiritual meditation. If I tune out of the speaker because my mind begins to entertain spiritual things regarding my own personal issues, then I wouldn't want to be interrupted by some person telling me to open up my bible to Matthew Ch2...blah blah.

    So its not that the members will be told 'DON'T OPEN YOUR SCRIPTURES AND READ ALONG'...its that the speakers are not to interrupt the members own personal time to meditate on spiritual matters.

  1. Anonymous Says:

    They are control freaks. They really are. I think that they have such a tight leash on everything in the church and this is just part of it.

  1. Anonymous Says:

    I don't think this is a big deal. I've been taught this my whole life growing up Mormon. My initial reaction though, was "doesn't the FP have more important things to worry about?"

    Really. Come on.

  1. Andee Says:

    Zytines,

    Thanks for the comment.

    I just think it's strange to say the very least. Why would it be a bad idea to follow along with your own scriptures? Wasn't that encouraged in the past? It certainly was when I was active.

  1. Nicko Says:

    I don't think it was Sydney. I think you'll find as Zytines suggested, this has been a rule for sometime now. AND again its NOT that members aren't allowed to follow on, its that Speakers aren't allowed to Dictate to members what to do during Sacrament.