My Real Name

Posted by: Andee / Category: , , ,



Ladies and Gentlemen, boys and girls, I have an announcement to make.

My name isn't Sydney. Shocking, I know. Actually, I have mentioned this many times over the course of these months that I have been publishing WindySydney...

When my Mom was pregnant with me, she and my father had agreed to name me Sydney if I was a girl, and something else if I was a boy (I can't remember...). My Mom went into labor in K-Mart if I remember the story correctly, and in her hand she had a t-shirt. What was on the label of that T-shirt made my Mom change her mind about the name Sydney. Instead, my Mom and Dad named me Andee (pronounced Andy) and it isn't short for anything.

The reason I used the name Sydney online is because I knew my blog might cause tension in my family. Little did I know that my Mom would end up resigning from the church long before I did!!

I also used the name Sydney for security purposes (and it's a damn good thing I did!). I knew what I had to say wasn't going to be popular by any stretch of the imagination, and I wasn't sure how fanatic people would get. Some people might remember that this past March I received threats via this blog to my personal safety. I even had to contact the FBI. There are some real crazies out there!

It's important for me now to use my real name. I don't want to make it seem like I am hiding my true identity, or that I am ashamed for people to know who I am. It's simply not the case. The reasons behind using a fake first name are not important to me anymore.

I want to take a stand, publicly, with my real name.

This is me, this is who I am, and the is me taking a stand.

Thanks for those who are taking the stand with me.

With the Mormon Church trying to help the ban on gay marriage, I want them to know who I am. Who I REALLY am. I am not ashamed of my point of view, or of anything here on this blog. This is me. Andee.

Nice to meet ya.


8 comments:

  1. steve-o Says:

    Wow. Very brave of you to admit that and tell us your real name. Nice to meet you, Andee.

    (I must admit that I liked Sydney, though :-) )

  1. Andee Says:

    I have to admit it's a little scary, but it's important for me to do this.

    I like Sydney better too! I can't tell you how much junk mail I get addressed to Mr. Andee _____. Ugh. I am a girl!$##@

  1. Unknown Says:

    Good for you woman! You rock!

  1. Anonymous Says:

    Hello Andee. I'm an ex-Mormon, too. I found your blog at PostMormon.org.

    Cheers.

  1. Andee Says:

    Thank you friend! You rock!!!

  1. Andee Says:

    Good to meet you Brent! Thanks for checking out my blog, I hope you like it :)

  1. Unknown Says:

    Keep it going Sydney, I mean Andee, it might take a little time getting used to it. But, keep it up. I started using my real name a few months ago as well but I don't keep the posting up so nobody has noticed.

  1. Anonymous Says:

    Hi Andee!!! Great to get your real name! Congratulations. After much thought, I think I am going to join the resignation effort. It scares the crap out of me!