Judgement

Posted by: Andee / Category: ,


I was very small when I learned right from wrong. My Mom and Dad told us that we should always treat others the way we wanted to be treated, and these lessons had nothing at all to do with religion.

I caught up with an old friend of mine over a few long emails. She asked me about my exit from the Mormon Church. Why did I make this decision? Did I know that Satan was leading me astray? How could I turn my back on the spirit? These questions continued until she finally realized that I had good reasons to leave, and that she could ask me about them at any time but they were not up for debate. My decision was made.

Imagine my horror when she sent me another email asking me if I had started drinking and doing drugs. Did I watch rated R movies? Was I drinking coffee? Was I sleeping around? Was I coming out as a lesbian?

Are you kidding me???

What is it with my Mormon "friends"? Do they honestly think that going to church and believing their doctrine was the only thing keeping me from going on a drug induced crime spree? Do they really believe my whole sense of right from wrong came from the church? Do they realize how little sense that makes?

Sigh.

For the record, I have always watched rated R movies. I don't think there is anything wrong with them. Some are violent, some have sex scenes, yes. Guess what? It's just a movie! Do they think we are all going to lose our sense of right and wrong after seeing a rated R movie? It's a piece of art. It's a story. It's not real life. I know the difference.

I have had drinks before... a couple wine coolers here and there. I have never been "drunk" and to be completely honest, I don't like alcohol that much. Both of my grandfathers were drinkers, and I don't want to go down that road. Of course, they are TBMs now, so their partying days have been forgiven.

I have never done an illegal drug. Never. No smoking pot. No cocaine, no heroin, no meth... nothing. That shocks people? It shouldn't! It's not who I am.

I love coffee. I have always loved the smell. I am now the proud owner of a coffee maker, and 4 or 5 different flavors of coffee. Coffee is good, and there is nothing wrong with drinking it. Nothing.

No, I am not sleeping around. I have lived with my roommate for 7 years. We have never even made out. I am not living in sin, I am not having group sex every night just because I can. Sex is always something very personal, and I would never just have sex with a random guy.

And no, I am not a lesbian. There is nothing wrong with being a lesbian, nothing wrong with being gay, nothing wrong with being bi-sexual, nothing wrong with being transgendered. It's only arrogant people who judge others before knowing them. I believe in equal rights, and I believe everyone should be able to get married, have kids, and live the American Dream.

Leaving the Mormon Church didn't turn me into a different person. I am still very much the same. In fact, I think my morals have grown. I treat EVERYONE the same now, and I don't look at total strangers as potential converts. I look at them as people who are just fine the way they are.

It's frustrating that so many people who knew me before I left assume that I am suddenly a horrible person now. Do they know how hurtful that is? Do they care? Do they say these things to try and scare me into coming back?

A few of my family members have cut off all contact with me. I haven't done anything except stop going to church. What did I do that was so wrong to these people?

It's so Christ-like... isn't it?


3 comments:

  1. Anonymous Says:

    ***standing up applauding you**

    "What is it with my Mormon "friends"? Do they honestly think that going to church and believing their doctrine was the only thing keeping me from going on a drug induced crime spree? Do they really believe my whole sense of right from wrong came from the church? Do they realize how little sense that makes?"

    yes they really do believe that:)
    I am exactly like you...not interested in drugs, alcohol, anything illegal...all I want is to be able to wear a tank top and some sexy underwear instead of regualtion undies. I love the fact that when I decided to leave the church I had this huge release of not being so arrogant...man my head hurt from holding it up so high! Now I know I am just as f'd up like the rest of the world.

    -daisy may

  1. Andee Says:

    Thanks for the applause Daisy May!

    There are tons of people in the church who are arrogant. They are so sure that they are "chosen."

    Since I was born in covenant I was always taught that I was a special spirit in heaven and I was blessed by being born to a family who were already members of the church.

    They don't understand how rude that is.

    They are basically saying that anyone not born in the covenant were not so great in the pre-existance. It's so messed up to judge people like that.

    Thanks for the comment.

  1. Anonymous Says:

    O I love this article! I'm not mormon, but my fiance and his family are. I have honestly never met such judgemental people in my entire life. Since I'm not Mormon, they just assume that I'm a drunken slut! It's that so nice of them to judge me and assume the worst just because I'm not a member of their church? They are really persuading me to convert by acting like that. haha. Your blog is the best!