Appearances

Posted by: Andee / Category: , , , ,


Appearances have been very important to most of the Mormons I know. Not all, but most. It wasn't about being the most spiritual person in the room, it was about making sure everyone thought they were the most spiritual person in the room. Big difference. It's like one big game... being better than your neighbor, being in the spotlight for having the best... perfect family.

One of my aunts was queen of this style of thinking. On the outside looking in, she had everything set the way she wanted it. She had her own business, her kids got perfect grades in school, they wore the latest fashions, her home was decorated and spotless, and her family sat in the church pews every Sunday. It was all a show.

Little did anyone know that she was a giant control freak who made decisions for everyone in her family about everything. No one knew her husband dealt with things by taking a more than occasional dose of heroin. Their bishop certainly didn't know... and they passed their temple recommend interviews easily.

Everyone assumed she was the most faithful woman they knew. They thought she was loving, kind, generous, and above all a good person. They didn't know her as well as I did.

When my father was diagnosed with cancer, I was 18 years old and fresh out of high school. I had plans to go to college, but I wanted to put it off so I could be with my Dad until he was healthy again. College was always important to me, but it would always be there. There was a chance my Dad wouldn't. I didn't tell anyone my plans on postponing college, and my aunt asked me to stay with her while I checked out the college in her area. My Dad wanted me to take the trip, so I did it for him.

When I got there, around Christmas, she asked me if I liked pizza. Who doesn't? She was just trying to be a good hostess and I appreciated it. She told me that her kids would be home from their various after-school activities soon, and she always had dinner prepared for them. What a good homemaker. Another one of my aunts arrived, ready to "help" me transition from high school to college. I know they meant well, but I didn't need someone there to hold my hand. I truly believe they wanted to feel as if they were helping my father in some way. The whole experience of him being so sick made us all feel pretty helpless.

Miss Auntie Control's home was absolutely perfect. Nothing was out of place, dusty, or even remotely dirty. The Christmas decorations were something out of a Martha Stewart magazine, she probably made the wreath herself, out of pine cones she found from the tree she planted in the back yard... by herself.

When everyone arrived for dinner, my aunt (the control freak) turned to everyone eating at the bar/counter and mentioned how sorry she was that my father's cancer was terminal and that he only had a few weeks left to live. Here is the thing... she knew that I hadn't been told yet. My Mom and Dad made the decision to tell us after Christmas, and they wanted it to come from them. Both of my parents made it perfectly clear to her that my brothers and I didn't know he wasn't going to get better. They also made it perfectly clear that they wanted to be the ones to break the news to us kids. I guess she just didn't give a damn. Merry Christmas Andee, Happy Holidays, your Dad is dying. Would you like another slice of pizza? What a bitch.

I must have gone pale, or possibly looked like I was about to cry... but I refused to break down. She looked at me with obvious fake sympathy saying something like, "Andee... you knew... right?" She isn't a very good actress. Luckily, I am.

I played it off, and I didn't want to give her the satisfaction. I pretended like I knew it all along. She wasn't going to control me, or my reactions. It's funny, but within the span of 10 minutes I got a glimpse into the mind of a woman who didn't give a damn who she hurt, as long as she was the one in control. It was a tad bit scary.

The night went on and we eventually went out to do some Christmas shopping. I picked out a couple outfits that I liked (it's not like I was without a job and penniless... I was working full time, and helping my parents when or if they needed it. I was a grown up, making my own financial decisions) and she would make comments like, "Are you sure you want to spend your money on that?" or "Maybe you should wait to buy that..." Was it any of her business? Did I ask for her opinion?

We went to the local university and scouted the music program that I knew I would have wanted to be a part of. I only half-way went through the motions, knowing that I didn't want to get emotionally attached to the school because I knew I wasn't going to be able to go... especially now that I had the knowledge of my Dad's terminal cancer. Dearest Auntie began telling me what classes I should be taking, and what I should be planning for in my future. Whatever lady.

I was helping them wrap their Christmas gifts, and they started in on discussing the church and it's many blessings. The only reason they were able to buy such nice Christmas presents was because they paid their tithing, they said. The only reason they had such a nice home due to the 10% they paid every single month. I didn't want to cause trouble for my Dad and his sisters during this time, so I kept my mouth shut. Those who read this blog regularly know how hard that was for me.

The weekend eventually came to an end, and I drove all the way back home. It was about a 3 and a half hour drive. I spent the whole time crying, because I knew I would see my Dad that day... but would I see him the next?

My Dad ended up passing away on January 17, 1998. My Mom was distraught, and I can't even bring up a word that could come close to describing the mental and emotional state I was in at the time. My father was an amazing man. He wasn't perfect, but he and my mother taught me what being a good person means. I knew I would miss him, and I knew I wanted to make him proud of me.

Mom started attending church again. She was taking classes to become temple ready so she could get my father sealed to us in the temple. She told everyone on both sides of the family that it was important for her to do this. She was raised strictly in the church, and she felt at the time that getting to the temple was the only way to see her husband again.

A few weeks later we get a phone call from Auntie Control. "We are planning on going to the Manti temple. It's going to be on this date _____. We would like you and the kids to be there." I could have killed her. Really. She knew that my Mom was going to take care of things, but she had to get herself involved. She took that moment away from my Mother, and even though I didn't believe in the church (even then) I knew it would be good for my Mom to do it. It would help her heal and move on.

Mom, brother and I drove to Manti. We were unable to take part in the temple sealing because we didn't have recommends. Auntie knew this. Do you think she gave a crap? No. What were her first words when she saw us? "Since you guys can't go inside, it would be great if you could watch the little kids for us." What? Are you fucking kidding me? You want me to wait outside a religious building that you claim I am not righteous enough for, while you do work for my father, and on top of that you want me to watch your little brats? What the hell is wrong with you? What the hell is wrong with a church that would ask that (referring to the part where families are separated from the righteous and the sinners.)

A few months after I moved to Orlando, I got a phone call from my Mom. She wasn't sure how to tell me the news she had... but she found a way. My uncle, dear auntie control's husband, was found in a coma on the streets of Las Vegas. Police say he was attempting to buy heroin from a drug dealer, but the buy went wrong and the dealer shot him full of some kind of drug and robbed him. He was left in the Las Vegas sun for hours and hours before he was found. Luckily, he survived and is now doing fine. As far as I know, he has beaten his drug habit and I sincerely wish him the best. A few of the people I know said, "If I had to live with her, I would be hooked on drugs, too!" A little harsh, but sort of true.

What bothers me is that she and her husband walked into the temple grounds in Manti, she told me it would be "great" if I could watch everyone's kids while she went inside, and she didn't deserve to be there.

This is where the appearances theme fits in. She was more concerned with what other people would think of her than actually believing and following through with her supposed beliefs that the temple was for worthy people only. She knew she was hurting us by leaving us outside that day, and it didn't even phase her. She was fine as long as everyone thought she was the perfect person she pretended to be.

I am not saying that all Mormons are this way. I know this story and these events wouldn't possibly happen to other people in the same manner, but I truly believe that the church puts pressure on it's members to maintain that constant state of perfection. I know many people will disagree, and that is fine... but my mind immediately goes to the talk that Julie B. Beck made at General Conference last October. Here are a couple of my favorite quotes:

They bring daughters in clean and ironed dresses with hair brushed to perfection; their sons wear white shirts and ties and have missionary haircuts. These mothers know they are going to sacrament meeting, where covenants are renewed. These mothers have made and honor temple covenants. They know that if they are not pointing their children to the temple, they are not pointing them toward desired eternal goals. These mothers have influence and power.

Latter-day Saint women should be the very best in the world at upholding, nurturing, and protecting families. I have every confidence that our women will do this and will come to be known as mothers who "knew."
Is this what made my aunt turn into the mega-controlling uber-insane crazy woman who didn't care who she hurt? No. But it certainly didn't help matters, did it?

Andee


6 comments:

  1. Unknown Says:

    I am so sorry you had to find out such personal and painfully devastating information in such a heartless way. No one should have to hear those words and in such a thoughtless manner must have been numbing. I hope someday she sees what she is someday.

    I think our family motto growing up was "What will the neighbors think?!" One day I told my mom I didn't care what the neighbors thought, I liked myself. She looked at me like I was speaking another language, like that had never even crossed her mind.
    My Aunt always compared how great their children were doing compared to us and went as far to blame my mom for their son not going on a mission because my brother didn't!

    And I remember my Mia Maid councelor asking what we wanted to do when we grew up and one girl said she wanted to be a doctor and she didnt want kids. I thought the poor women was going to fall over from shock! Im sure she felt like she failed her calling.

  1. Anonymous Says:

    I think part of the problem in mormonism is that women do not have control. So they find other ways to control.

    I have a sister who tells everyone in the family, everything. I don't think that it is entirely because she is a gossip. I think part of it is her way of exerting control. She lives in a religion where she is supposed to defer to her husband. Her husband who treats her horribly and is mean to her and her kids (he was mad on Christmas and wouldn't even talk to their kids!).

    There is definitely a push on appearances in mormonism-but I think that it is more of a symptom of bigger problems. For a religion that claims to believe in "agency" they do everything they can to take it away. For a religion that says it treats women as equals, it does everything to make sure women have no voice whatsover. The only voice women have it through a man.

    I am so, so sorry to hear what your aunt did to you. My sister, who lived 2 blocks away at the time, called me at work to tell me about my father's cancer. It couldn't have been worse timing for me. Your aunt did not deserve to be in the temple, but the church has gotten to be all about appearances. For example, the recent letter read in church about dress and appearance. Last I checked even the BofM talks about the dangers of being focused on appearances. The church has become what it warns about. People need to be more concerned about being good people, then about looking like good people.

  1. Andee Says:

    Demand More and Truly Confused,

    Thanks for the comments!

    My aunt is mentally ill, I have decided. She recently divorced her husband and her kids pretty much stuck up for him in the proceedings. I feel sorry for her, because it must be lonely. I shouldn't feel sorry for her, though... after what she did to my mother and I.

    Many of the Mormons I know (again, not all) are definitely more concerned with what other people think of them than their own spiritual well-being. It must be a very depressing way to live.

    Thanks for the comments again guys, you rock. :)

  1. steve-o Says:

    While I'm sorry that Andee had to learn about her father's illness from her aunt, having an obsession with appearances is certainly not endemic to Mormons. Most workplaces have this problem, to be certain. I always warn new hires fresh out of college that I meet at my company that they have to be very careful about what they do and say, as well as how they dress. People are always watching, and their interpretation of one's actions can make or break a career. I've seen it happen many times.

    In Mormondom, "avoiding the appearance of evil" is something that I've heard a lot. My parents frequently threw that one out in order to try to get me to only be friends with certain people (all of them Mormon, of course) or avoid going certain places. My TBM brother doesn't drink coffee, but likes to go to Starbucks for their hot apple drinks. Every time he mentions it, the "avoid the appearance of evil" comment is dropped.

    I think having the appearance of humility is also a Mormon obsession. My parents are fairly well off and always instructed us never to tell anyone when they bought new cars (a frequent occurrence at our house) or other expensive things. They would also avoid driving new cars to church for several months so that people wouldn't know. It seems really silly, when you think about it. But, for some strange reason, it was really important to them to make it seem like their income was only average. My grandparents were kind of the same--they traded in their Cadillac for a new one every year for 25 years, but only changed the model and/or color 3-4 times in those 25 years. Why they did that, I'll probably never know.

    I would love to see more of my Mormon friends accept who they are and not be ashamed of it. I've found much more happiness in my own life when I've learned to accept and embrace who I am and what I like. That means, for example, that I no longer try to stop listening to metal. My parents always gave me a bad time about that--you know, the usual "Satan" trip--and made me sell off all my CD's more than once. All the negativity around metal music at church and school (i.e., BYU) always made me feel guilty and conflicted about who I was and my preferences. Once I stopped thinking about that and just got back to enjoying music, I was much happier. And, going out and buying a few metal CDs helped me get through the monotony and pain of my mission, too. :-)

  1. Andee Says:

    Steve-O,

    I don't think it's an epidemic to Mormons, I mentioned that several times in the article. I just don't think that the pressure the church puts on people (mostly women) to have the perfect family as mentioned in Sister Beck's talk is healthy.

    Your mention that the appearance of humility is an obsession of sorts is another thing that pretty much proves my point. The church wants it's members to fit a mold, and the last thing the members want is to be called out for not fitting the mold.

  1. Nicko Says:

    I don't think this has anything to do with Church Teachings but rather more to do with how people react to external stimuli.

    All peoples put on a face no matter what institution they belong to. Steve is right, we do it all the time at work. I do it when I'm presenting at conferences as do my colleagues. We all have certain ideas as to what it means to be a good Sociologist.

    It does make me rather despondent however to hear that people drop the old 'avoiding the appearance of evil' trick when essentially there is very few places a latter-day saint can go these days without being around 'evil'. Admittedly, I wouldn't enter a 'strip' joint to grab an apple cider, but I certainly have no issue in sitting in the stands at the football in the licensed section because they have the better seats...sometimes that is.

    Problem is it wouldn't matter what church/school/whatever you were in, humans would react the same. I remember at School my Mum knew some parents who would drop their kids off and be embarrassed about the fact that there was no Dad around. They would hide it away. Now it isn't so much of a big deal...but back then it was.

    Its a typical human response to what is a unfortunate manner of acting. We are pressured so much through self-help, etc,etc to look, act and behave a certain way that we all have a 'janus' face in many situations...not just church.