Signing For Something

Posted by: Andee / Category:

This is the letter I have chosen to share on my blog today. It was written by Lisa Fahey in San Francisco. Lisa, if you would like me to take down your letter, please let me know. I mean no harm in sharing what you wrote, I thought you expressed yourself beautifully.


I am an active member of my ward and stake, I hold a temple recommend, I am a heterosexual female and when I was married, was sealed in the temple and hope to be married in the temple again.

Ever since I can remember I have been hearing letters read from the pulpit about the church not being a place for politics, endorsing political candidates and voting our minds/conscience.

Unfortunately I feel the letter read on June 29 in sacrament meetings all over California went against this letter as did the last one that was read regarding Proposition 22.

When the church supported Proposition 22, I felt sick to my stomach, shocked and disappointed, in my church. Even more so when I received phone calls from church leaders to have me meet in a small group in someone’s home, yard signs and door-to-door information and routes passed out at church, wealthy friends called in and asked to give generously to support Proposition 22.

The latest letter feels cold and unfeeling toward members of society who are shunned by some, I am referring to our gay and lesbian brothers and sisters. Just last night I spent the evening with a Jewish gay couple who has been together for 15 years. Dave and Eric were married recently and recounted their special day to me with pictures and I shed tears hearing about the many miracles that happened in their lives to be able to legally marry. While in their home, it felt spiritual, peaceful and loving.

My hope is for the church to teach correct principles and let us govern ourselves someday realize the mistake this is to not show love for all people; especially several gay members of my ward.

With peace and love everywhere.


0 comments: