I Signed For Something

Posted by: Andee / Category: , , ,


Today I added my letter to those listed on the SigningForSomething.org website. Here is my final draft of my letter... I have to admit that I spent a few days writing and re-writing the letter, but I finally gave up and just spoke what was on my mind. I hope the letter makes sense, and gets the point across.

It certainly made me feel better.

I am having a hard time understanding how the leaders in the Mormon Church feel it is okay to limit the rights of others. It has happened in the past, and is still happening.

What is so wrong with equality?

I refuse to believe that one group of people has the right to determine how everyone else should live their lives. That is exactly what the Mormon Church is trying to do.


If you believe gay marriage is wrong, and you want the members of your church to believe it's wrong, fine... but the minute you stand up on your soap box and ask the members of your church to limit the rights of others you are crossing the line.


I am ashamed that I once considered myself a member of the Mormon Church. It might seem harsh, but it's no more harsh than limiting the rights of people you don't even know.

In the past the Mormon Church believed that allowing those with dark skin to hold the priesthood was wrong. The church limited the rights of those with dark skin, and even called them cursed and told them their skin would lighten if they accepted the gospel.


The church doesn't allow women the same rights that it allows men. Why? Why can't a woman hold the office of bishop? Why can't a woman bless her own child? There is no good answer, and again you are limiting the rights of those in your own membership.


Now the fight has turned to those who are gay and lesbian. Being gay isn't a choice. It's not something that can be changed, and it's certainly not something that can be, or should be "fixed."


Gay marriage will not hurt heterosexual marriage in any way. There is no threat from anyone here.

I sincerely ask that the members of the Mormon Church take a stand for equality for EVERYONE.

No one sitting in an office building in Salt Lake City should make decisions on how non-members live their lives.
This is not okay, and I promise to take a stand and speak my mind on this issue wherever it is brought up in my presence.

I am also planning on resigning my membership of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, My resignation stems from many issues, including learning about how the translation of the Book of Mormon truly happened, as well as how racist and sexist the organization truly is. This is the final straw, and I am taking a stand.


Whatever happened to loving thy neighbor?

Andee
Logan, Utah


0 comments: