Ignorance Is Bliss

Posted by: Andee / Category: ,


Yesterday I had the extreme pleasure of overhearing a conversation at work about people who didn't believe in God. I have mentioned many times that I am uncertain what I believe in anymore, but I do believe questioning things is good. I wish I would have questioned things a lot sooner!

Anyway...

I was pulling out my book from my locker, buying an ice cold diet coke from a vending machine, and sitting my happy butt down in the break room for my lunch hour. I stopped going home for lunch every day because of gas prices. I use half the gas that I used to, it's saving bundles.

There were a few guys already at the huge break room table in the middle of a discussion. They were all Mormons, some are bigger than believers than others, but they definitely all have the same point of view on things... that is... the church's point of view. Heaven forbid they think for themselves for once. Here is a quick breakdown into the conversation, to the best I can remember it...

Coworker 1: ...and I know his values will go downhill because who do you answer to if you don't believe in God?

Coworker 2: Yeah, people who don't believe in a higher power just do what they want. They don't care about the consequences of their actions.

*puke*

Why is it that they think they know how all atheists are? How all people are? What are they basing this assumption on? I might not answer to the same God you do, but I certainly don't think that means I am going to automatically do horrible things and hurt my fellow man. Their argument is so stupid. Gawd.

I don't know if I believe in God, but I know one thing... I am a very moral person. I am kind to everyone, even people I don't particularly care for, or agree with. When I overhear stuff like this, I keep my mouth shut because I am at my place of work. It's hard for me to bite my lip and keep from putting these people in their place... and I know if I did, I would be the one who had to answer for myself and these turds would get away with it.

I think conversations like this, that take place at your place of employment, are out of line. People in the state of Utah just automatically assume everyone agrees with them. They make comments that are judgmental, rude, ignorant, and out of line... but they are in the majority. They are so ignorant, and believe that their point of view is the only good point of view.

I hope I can continue to keep my thoughts to myself. If not, it might not be pretty.


6 comments:

  1. Anonymous Says:

    I shudder when I consider the vast number of people who consider the belief in God to be the only anchor to morality.

    Is it not better to base ones morality on what is best for the function of society rather than on a God who may or may not be there? At least we know society exists and that our actions can make it better, or make it worse.

  1. steve-o Says:

    When your morals come from scripture, and your scriptures come from God, it's only natural to believe that without belief in God, one would have no morals.

    Of course, anyone who studies religious and philosophical texts outside of the Judeo-Christian canon will quickly realize that many of the morals that Judeo-Christians claim as their own (i.e., from God) actually pre-dated or developed concurrently with Judeo-Christian morals, but in other cultures with other religious or secular beliefs.

    It's a lot to ask someone to actually think about these things, though.

  1. Anonymous Says:

    Have you ever noticed that people who believe in God use it as an excuse to do some horrible things. I do believe in God. Some of the best people I know are atheist or agnostic.

    I think that some people use the "believe in God" card because they need a reason to keep believing in something that they may not actually believe. I think they often fear what they will do if they stop believing.

  1. Andee Says:

    I have no idea what I believe in anymore, but that certainly would never give me the power or the will to do things to hurt my fellow man.

    I don't not kill people because I am afraid of God, I don't kill people because I would never hurt someone like that.

    Big difference.

    Thanks for the comments!

  1. Anonymous Says:

    These kinds of people make me sick. Of course, it's a problem on all spectrums. You have your strict religious people who think that people who don't believe in God are hedonists, etc... and you have your arrogant atheists who think that anyone who does believe in God is an idiot. Disappointingly, people only take the image of the "radical" and plaster that to entire group. Not all Christians are idiots, and not all Atheists are arrogant and hedonistic.

    It appears that some are so weak, that their belief in God is the only thing preventing them from doing ill. Even that isn't enough sometimes. People are shallow. It's impossible to escape.

    It's all a horrible vicious circle.

    I just don't see why people can't accept that morals are universal. You don't need a holy book to teach you how to be nice, but apparently some need that.

  1. Anonymous Says:

    OBVIOUSLY I have zero morals now that I'm a PoMo. I mean, come on, if I'm not listening to the teachings of a greedy 19th century pedophile, I'm certainly have nothing better to do with my time than gad about the countryside murdering people left and right.