Sexist!!

Posted by: Andee / Category: , , ,


I just got through having a conversation with a Mormon missionary.

Don't worry kind believers, I was more than pleasant and understanding to him. I didn't even use the keys on my keyboard to make a frownie-face :(

The reason I went to Mormon.org was because I had a question about why women are not allowed to hold positions of authority over a man. This has always bothered me (not to the surprise of my frequent readers) and I was interested to see what he had to say about it.

He didn't know that I was a member of his church (technically) or that I knew a lot about Mormonism. He assumed I was completely green to the church so he really "dumbed things down" for me. I thought that was funny.

Anyway, I began the conversation by asking him how Mormons get to go to the temple. He replied with the standard "you must live the commandments, attend church, and have an interview with the bishop." Notice how he didn't mention callings, tithing, or many other things that fit into this little "worthiness" bubble. He wanted to make it sound easy. Ha.

Eventually things got around to me asking if women could become bishops. He replied quickly with, "No, but women have other leadership positions."

Ha. Again.

Lets think about "leadership" positions for a moment, shall we?

Do women get to lead men? Well, lead them in things that don't include things like choir practice?

The answer to that question is no. Women do not hold leadership positions over men. Why? Because GOD WANTS IT THAT WAY!!

Sorry, more like MEN WANT IT THAT WAY!!

Let's pretend for one moment that God did exist. I know it's hard, but try. ;)

God is a busy dude. Think about prayer alone. Seriously. Do you know how many prayers God would have to sit through on a daily basis? This is a perfect example of what I am talking about (watch it, it's awesome):



If you took the time it would take for God to handle prayers alone he wouldn't be able to care about who was bishop of the 15th Ward. As a matter of fact, He would probably be happy as long as the person was capable of leaving him alone for 10 minutes.

Why would he care about the gender of the person running things?

Why should that matter?

It shouldn't matter to an all-loving God, should it?

Missionary Man then told me that women were special because we got to bring God's children into the world.

Big mistake Missionary Man. (I was nice!)

This is the oldest, crappiest excuse given to me about this topic (happens a lot!!!).

You see... women are supposed to WANT to be mothers. We are supposed to nurture our children, have as many of them as possible, and keep the house running like a well-oiled machine.

Guess what?

No.

We are not living in the 50's.

I can't believe I ever bought into this bullshit. Ugh.

Andee


3 comments:

  1. C. L. Hanson Says:

    That is one of my favorite Mr. Deity episodes! :D

  1. Gone, long gone. Says:

    Maybe they changed things after you left. They were all like,

    1: "Shit, someone else left the church, what the hell is going on here??"

    2: "Hey! Don't say hell! Hahahaha, damn that's naughty!"

    1:"Dude, shut the fuck up, we need to figure this out, we can't have women leaving the church or we'll never get sex."

    2: "I know, right? Keeping power over people is supposed to be easier than this. Stupid athiests and their rationaliness"

    1: "What?"

    2: "Like, rationalityness. It's when you try to reason shit out for yourself rather than just listen to.."

    1: "Shut the fuck up, I know what you're trying to say."

    2: "But you just sai..."

    1: "Shut the fuck up or I'll show everyone the skid marks in your magic underwear."

    1: "Dumbass."

  1. Andee Says:

    C.L. Hanson:

    It's one of my favorites, too!! I love me some Mr. Deity!

    Maelstrom:

    You made me smile.

    I loved it when the missionary was like, "Men and women are equal in the church."

    Then I said, "If they were equal, women could be bishops."

    At that point his brain stopped completely and he gave me a link to check out. It's so hard to get people to think. That is sad. :(