They Do It For God!

Posted by: Andee / Category: , , ,


Yesterday I ranted about the recent mass shootings that have taken place.

I am still pretty pissed off at the men who took the lives of others, but now I am more calm and I can look at things from a different perspective.

You can probably tell from the past entries on WindySydney that I am a news junkie. I like to know what is going on in the world around me. I am also fascinated with crime, and I frequent forums to discuss crimes in the news. I like to see if I can figure out why people do things like rob, kill, torture and lie. Most of the time the answers are greed, power, the lack of ability to control anger, and revenge... but sometimes, the people who commit some of the most unbelievable crimes do it for God.

In the case of the shooting at Ft. Hood in Texas, many people on true crime message boards are jumping to the conclusion that Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, a Muslim, did the shootings because he wanted to take out American soldiers and help Jihad. There is rumor that he shouted something about Allah before pulling out two hand guns and killing 12/wounding 31. Many news agencies that reported on this rumor have stated that it's important not to jump to conclusions that his attack was terrorism related. I have to agree that we don't know the true reasons behind his attack... yet.

One particular poster on this forum said that no Muslims should be allowed to serve in the armed forces because it is only a matter of time before they all pull something similar.

I read that and I snapped.

I called him a bigot, because... he is one.

You see, not ALL Muslims believe in wiping out America just like not ALL Mormons believe in polygamy and not ALL Christians believe in bombing abortion clinics.

We are talking about extremism here. Fundamentalists. Fanatics. People who let themselves believe that they are chosen by God for some amazing task.

Oh yes, christians. Your religion is so much better and your God is so much more loving than everyone elses. Thats why you are against equal rights. Makes perfect sense.

There is more killing done in the name of God than anyone really notices. It's chilling.


Months and months ago I read about a Christian preacher whose daughter suffered from diabetes. He believed that God would save her. When she went into shock he didn't take her to the hospital. He grabbed his wife and other kids and prayed. Needless to say, the girl died due to lack of medical intervention. She was killed because of the fanatic beliefs of her father.

It's no secret that I don't believe in God, nor to I like religion. As a matter of fact, I think religion does more harm than good. But it just shocks me how many God-loving, preaching, bible-quoting, conservatives out there feel that their God wants them to be bigots and assume the worst of people who are different than they are.

This is only one of the many reasons I embrace Atheism.

One thing I will never do is harm someone else because of my beliefs. You won't see me praying for someone when I should be doing CPR, you won't see me bomb a building because God wants me to. Most of all, you won't see me force my beliefs on anyone else. I might SHARE them, but I would never force them. Religions don't get this.

God bless 'em. ;)

Andee


1 comments:

  1. libhom Says:

    What do you expect from a religion that was based on plagiarized science fiction?