Flashback Time!

Posted by: Andee / Category: , , ,

Last night I was browsing through YouTube looking for those amazing infomercial clips and I came upon what I refer to as childhood GOLD.

Better than gold.

Platinum.

I was pretty much a child of the 80's. I wore florescent colors, bright sunglasses, I watched shows like "Small Wonder" and "Rainbow Brite."





I thought I would take a trip down memory lane and visit some of the clips and commercials of my childhood. Being a kid was so much fun.

First, we have Princess Lip Gloss Lockets. I never had a Princess Lip Gloss Locket, but that was because my parents thought I was too young to be wearing "makeup." I use quotations there because I believe that if you scientifically studied the contents of Princess Lip Gloss Lockets you would probably find an ingredient in there that would kill you.



Mr. Mouth. My neighbor had this and we broke it... I love the tag line:

"He just can't keep his big mouth shut!"



Connect Four is still one of my favorite games. I wont apologize for this. I refuse. It's fun.



Showbiz Pizza!

I celebrated many a birthday at Showbiz Pizza. The older I got, the creepier the "band" got...



New Kids on the Block. Who is their number one fan?

I AM!!



Santa brought me a Lite Brite when I was a kid. I think I lost every single one of those little colored plastic thingies that you punched into the board. One time, I remember hearing my Dad say something like, "If I step on another one of these....!!!"

Yeah.



Next, we have My Buddy and Kid Sister.

I didn't have one of these either, but before even watching the retro commercial I easily recalled the music and lyrics to both commercials. Can you?

Don't cheat. God doesn't like cheaters.



Teddy Ruxpin.

I don't think I need to say any more... do I?



I had every one of these glasses... and that is an amazing feat for someone who lived an hour away from the closest McDonald's... not kidding... I lived in the boonies. No traffic lights. I still have no idea how I pulled off the collection... and I don't remember what happened to the glasses, either. I assume they are broken shards of glass sitting in a landfill in western Utah. How sad.



I didn't recognize this next commercial until the very end, but this is another example of a jingle I will remember forever...



Not The Mama!!

If you don't know what I am talking about, you have never seen the television show "Dinosaurs" that was a part of ABC's TGIF lineup... right after Family Matters if I am not mistaken.

Damn, I watched a lot of television.





Perfect Strangers. A classic.



There are a million other commercials I wanted to add, but this post has already been too long. Maybe one of these days I will blog about more of them.

Until then, I will leave you with this:



If My Two Dads were on the air today, people would automatically assume that the Dads were romantically involved with each other. Conservatives would be freaking out that "the gays" were starring in their own television show marketed for kids. Bill O'Reilly, Rush Limbaugh and Glen Beck would be losing their minds. It's sad, but true.

Sweet Jesus, I hate Bill O'Reilly.

Andee


0 comments: