I Know

Posted by: Andee / Category: ,

I have had conversations with TBM's before, and I refuse to pretend that I am a believing Mormon, because that would be a lie. I don't like lies. Hate 'em. I am who I am who I am.

Anyway, today I had the opportunity to talk to someone who "knew" everything. He "knew" Joseph Smith was a true prophet. He "knew" the Book of Mormon was complete scripture and it came from God. He "knew" that having his son serve a mission even though the son didn't want to serve the mission was the best thing to do because he "knew" it. Bull****.

No one knows anything. Period.

You might FEEL something. But you KNOW nothing. Praying won't help you KNOW anything, just FEEL things.

Knowing something needs proof. It needs evidence.

I know the sun is going to come up tomorrow.

I know I have to be at work tomorrow at 12:30.

These things can be shown through evidence and proof... no one can prove Joseph Smith was a prophet of God, and as a matter of fact, they can probably show you more proof to the contrary with the court records and marriage/sealing documents.

I am sick of people who "know" without thinking about it.


5 comments:

  1. Soy Yo Says:

    Amen to that! I still think the burden of proof sits with Mormons. They claim Joseph Smith was a prophet and the Book of Mormon is an actual record of people who lived in the Americas. Well, I say. PROVE IT!

  1. Andee Says:

    They can't and they know they can't. That is why they say it's important to have FAITH. I will have faith in something when it is shown to me.

    If God wants me to believe that he appeared to Joseph Smith, and the Book of Mormon was written on Golden plates, He will have to show me, somehow, that it is true.

    There is more evidence that the church is untrue, than true. That is why the church leaders tell members what to read and what not to read, because they know why they are losing so many members.

    Kids are taught by example in testimony meetings what they should "know."

  1. bindiec Says:

    I swear the next person that tells me they "know" the mormon church is the "true" church, I am gonna stick a cucumber in their mouth and say that I KNOW they need to do something with their mouth other than yap about what they think they know!!

  1. Andee Says:

    Hahaha, you are right on Bindy!

    The other day I actually had to bite my lip (really bite it!) to keep myself from snapping at this person at work.

    I don't understand how Mormons think their testimonies need to be shared with anyone and everyone. I certainly don't go around preaching about the bad things about Mormonism, right? Sure, I have my blog, but I don't walk into work and tell everyone with a CTR ring that their religion is bull ****!

  1. Nicko Says:

    Hahahaha....thats funny Sydney...I dare you to do it! no..not really cause you'd probably get fired! Utah is a weird place I have to say.

    As for testifying, I have an issue with the word 'know' too believe it or not. Know indicates knowledge which negates faith. I believe wholeheartedly that there are but a few people in this world who 'know' as plain as looking at someone else that Jesus Christ lives (we can debate that some other time).

    I do however 'believe' that Christ lives based on experiences (note I didn't say just feelings) that I've had previously. However I think that people would argue that when they say they 'know' they say it with spiritual eyes and a sense beyond the five.

    I guess its personal preference for me to say 'I believe that Christ lives and that the Book of Mormon is true' because of the things I've experienced which are of necessity spiritual but also 'faith' based. Who knows one day I maybe able to say 'I know' with strong conviction...you never know.

    For now, I believe that the Church is True based on my level of Faith. I guess that is where the debate divides you and I at this stage of our lives.