Why I Love My Mom

Posted by: Andee / Category:


Today is Mothers Day, and since I have a few minutes before I have to head out to work, I wanted to share some of the things that makes my Mom one of the best Mom's in the world.

My Mom has always been supportive of the decisions that I have made, even when they were the wrong decisions. She was the first person to pick me up when I fell, and to tell me it was okay because we all make mistakes.

When I was a small kid, I was a dancer. Since we lived in the middle of nowhere, Mom had the chore of driving me over a mountain pass once or twice a week to get to practices, rehearsals, and performances. One night at the dance team award ceremony, Mom received the "Best Mom" award because everyone recognized the time she took out of her own life to help me. She was amazing.

We have always shared a passion for books. My Mom is extremely smart. She knows so much about so many things, but she is humble and kinder than anyone else I have ever met in my life. She would give you anything you need, not because she feels she has to, but because that is who she is. She will be there for you when you need her, and she never expects anything in return.

Mom is always the one that remembers every relatives birthday. She usually sends cards and emails when everyone else forgets.

My Mom is a musician. She can hear a song on the radio, sit at the piano, and play it. My roommate saw this firsthand when she came to visit a few months ago and was blown away by the talent. She can sing, harmonizing with anyone or the car radio. We both share a slight fear of the spotlight every once in a while, so its a great experience when we get to hear her play or sing.

My Mom has dealt with so much in her life... she lost her own mother, my grandmother, a few months before we lost my father to cancer. It was extremely hard for her, it was hard for everyone, but she still shined as the kind person she was. She took care of my Dad when he was sick, helping him with his feeding tubes and trach, organizing trips to Salt Lake City for radiation treatments, picking up medication, and picking up the pieces around the house. She was a rock, and she taught me how to be strong. Sometimes you don't have control over the things that happen to you, but you have the control of how you handle those things.

She never once missed a school performance, dance recital, band performance, choir performance, little league game, Jr. Jazz game, or volleyball game. My parents were always there supporting me. Even when I really sucked.

When I moved back to Utah a little less than a year ago, neither one of us had any idea of the insane year we had in front of us. I started learning things about the Church, and I knew that I could go to her and discuss these things without her judging me as a person. I never once thought that she would turn me away if I didn't believe. She loves me for me. I love her for her.

I had been talking to my Mom about my interest in learning photography last fall, and imagine my surprise on Christmas when I got the best gift ever... a camera. A really nice one at that. She checks my flickr page daily, as well as my blog, and always gives me constructive feedback. Never is a harsh word said.

As many of you see, my Mom is an amazing person. We all blessed to know her, and if it is true that we got to pick out our own parents before we came to earth, I am certainly glad I picked her. If that isn't the case, I got extremely lucky.

Not only did she give me life, but she still makes my life better by helping me and just being there. I don't know what I would do without her. If I am half the person she is one day, I will be happy. She isn't just my Mom, she is my best friend.

I love you Mom! Happy Mother's Day!


1 comments:

  1. Anonymous Says:

    Wow - your mom sounds like a stunning and talented woman! Hopefully she read this blog entry, because it's such a great tribute.

    It sounds like your family has been through so much. Yet the love you have for each other is so apparent, just in this one post.