To My Mormon Friends

Posted by: Andee / Category: , ,


Hello there,

This is a quick open letter to all my Mormon friends who stop by to read my ranting and raving and sometimes leave quick or long comments.

I want you to know that I don't dislike you at all. I am happy that you stop by. I like that you are taking the time to learn some of the reasons people actually leave the church. It's not because we are insulted by someone in the church like a bishop. It's not because we are not good enough to live the gospel. It's certainly not because we have been led astray by Satan himself. It's because we disagree. We disagree with doctrine, and with the way things have been handled; not only in the past, but also presently.

By rejecting some of the things we have learned, we are not rejecting you. We don't think you are stupid or silly. We know exactly how you feel, because we have been there ourselves. We have walked in your shoes. However... you have not walked in ours.

I welcome everyone to share their opinions and thoughts on this blog, but when I get people telling me that I need to watch out because I am going to hell I need to say something. I show respect to those who comment here, but I request that same respect back. I am not an evil doer, a horrible person who can't wait to hurt others. Why would you want to hurt me? Why lash out simply because I voice an opinion that is different than yours? I don't feel I am going to hell just like you don't feel you are going to hell. Good people shouldn't judge each other, I was taught that in the church.

I know that most of the Mormons who read here will never leave the church. That doesn't bother me. If you are happy, I am happy. If you ever do leave, however, I will be here for you. Regardless, respect is required... from everyone.

Sydney


8 comments:

  1. Brother Zelph Says:

    Well said. I don't know you, but I wish you the best and know that you are not alone.

  1. Andee Says:

    Thank you Zelph...

    It's hard enough to go through learning all these things that were kept from me in the church, it's even harder to be honest and share my thoughts and feelings about it.

    I certainly don't need the added comments about how evil and wrong I am all the time.

    No more Miss Nice Sydney.

  1. Nicko Says:

    Sydney,

    With all due respect, you have no clue what it is like to walk in my shoes. I am a convert to the church who comes from a myriad of different faiths never quite feeling like any of them made much sense at all. I am half Karen (look it up) and half New Zealander. I live in Australia. I have been a member of the Church for 10 years. I have a wife who's parents were converts to the church and two children who are sealed to me in the temple.

    My parents hate the church. My mission broke my dad's heart. My temple sealing felt incredibly peaceful, but you would suggest that it was incredibly immoral because my parents weren't allowed inside. MY first time in the Celestial room was like walking into my first home, nostalgic, and a feeling that I actually belonged here.

    With all due respect to you (cause I really do like you!) and the Postmormon movement, you have no idea what it's like to be me. But then again, so I have no idea what its like to be you. Growing up in the Church, living in Utah, trying to be postmormon, would be something I couldn't understand.

    But I think recognising this would allow us to be more unified than our differences would suggest right?

    Again, I do like you and appreciate you position, but I cannot nor should I try to 'know what its' like on your end. I can however attempt to build those bridges by suggesting that we have more commonalities than what we sometimes see on our posting.

    Love of CATS to start with!! :)

  1. Andee Says:

    Nicko,

    With all due respect, I wasn't talking about you. I have been a faithful Mormon, and that is what I meant by walking in your shoes. It seems easy to understand to me. However, have you ever been a Post Mormon? Nope. You have no walked in my shoes.

    I am sorry that your parents don't agree with your religion of choice, however I sincerely believe that God would want all family members present at a wedding/important event instead of splitting up the group into the "haves" and the "have nots." That, is immoral, and God wouldn't do it.

    I am not saying that I know what it is like to be you, I am saying that I know what it is like to be a believing Mormon. The whole tone of the article was centered around that point. I think you took it to a different place.

    I have been receiving more and more "hate mail" from believing Mormons telling me that I am going to hell and that I will have to answer for everything I have said. This article was written for their benefit. Not yours.

    I have no issues with you Nick. None.

  1. Nicko Says:

    fair enough Sydney and I think i would echo your thoughts there. Mormons should be intelligent about this and realise that there is room for building bridges...without accusing or telling people they are going to hell.

    Again, I don't ever believe that we'll agree, but I think that we can still agree to disagree...something the world desperately needs....

  1. Andee Says:

    Agreed Nicko.

    It's unfortunate that people are right-fighters instead of wanting to find common ground.

  1. Elder Joseph Says:

    Nicko

    Brigham Young told women they would go to hell ....Threatens Hell to the women on resisting Plural Marriage

    Brigham Young - Journal Of Discourses VOL 17 page 159

    "Brother George A. Smith has been reading a little out of the revelation concerning celestial marriage, and I want to say to my sisters that if you lift you heels against this revelation, and say that you would obliterate it, and put it out of existence if you had the power to nullify and destroy it, I say that if you imbibe that spirit and feeling, YOU WILL GO TO HELL, just as sure as you are living women…………………………"

  1. Andee Says:

    Elder Joseph,

    Thanks for sharing that quote. It's just one of many. Most Mormons that I have spoken with personally have said that Brigham was speaking as a man and not as a prophet. It's seems pointless to me... why the need for prophets at all if they make such horrible mistakes and comments such as these?

    I come to the conclusion that he was never a prophet. I don't believe in prophets at all. God doesn't pick and choose people to talk for him. No. Way.