A Servant of Sin

Posted by: Andee / Category: , ,


Here is something I found from The Church News, January 4 1997:

"An inspired Joseph Smith further explained: 'Cursed are all those that shall lift up the heel against mine anointed, saith the Lord, and cry they have sinned when they have not sinned before me, saith the Lord, but have done that which was meet in mine eyes, and which I commanded them. But those who cry transgression do it because they are the servants of sin, and are the children of disobedience themselves.' (D&C 121:16-17.) Why is it, then, that the apostates will not leave the Church alone? Because they are the servants of sin and have another master whose bidding they now do."

Ahem.

The reason we continue to talk and speak out about the church is because we have been lied to. We are angry, and we have every right to be. One day you might come to the same conclusions we did, and if you do, be prepared to be called a servant of sin yourself.

I also find it unreal that we are lumped into a role of supposedly following Satan simply because we leave the LDS Church. Seems more than a little harsh, don't you think? Why would something like this be published in a church news article if the church didn't want to promote it?
"People who lose their testimonies and renounce the Church or drop out of it, if they are convinced of their position, should be totally indifferent to the folly of their deluded one-time brethren and sisters: if they want to make fools of themselves, that is up to them, but we are intellectually and socially above all that. Well and good, that is how it is in other churches; but here it does not work that way." "Apostates usually become sometimes feverishly active, determined to prove to the world and themselves that it is a fraud after all. What is that to them? Apparently it is everything--it will not let them alone. At the other end of the scale are those who hold no rancor and even retain a sentimental affection for the Church--they just don't believe the gospel. I know quite a few of them. But how many of them can leave it alone? It haunts them all the days of their life. No one who has ever had a testimony ever forgets or denies that he once did have it--that it was something that really happened to him. Even for such people who do not have it anymore, a testimony cannot be reduced to an illusion. -Hugh Nibley, "Approaching Zion", page 155

Wow. I mean, just... wow.

It's not the fact that I have to prove I am correct or prove any other Post Mormon is correct. It's getting over the shock and sadness of losing a way of life, a way of thinking and believing all while realizing that it was all a load of Bull Sh*t.

We left and disagree, but assuming we did so because of Satan tempting us is outrageous. Awful, and immoral. The people who say these things need to check themselves.

An anonymous poster shared part of an email she received by accident written by her father:
"Disassociating herself from the church was a big mistake. The church is the only refuge from this kind of activity and biggest enemy Satan has. It is the only organization that will be able to ultimately destroy Satan's work hear on the earth and will rule during the millennium. We all need to support it and follow it's teachings now more than ever. When we abandon it because some of it's members are bad we are only letting Satan win. He will then have us too."
Can you say brainwashed? Whew!




12 comments:

  1. Anonymous Says:

    Hi Sydney –

    I found your blog through a friend – actually a Mormon friend (they aren’t too happy about it . . . .) I myself am not Mormon, but I have a handful of friends that are. And I have to confess – the “devout Mormons” do appear to lead a life that is quite alluring (nice families, respect, love, etc.). It is this alluring nature that has made me recently look into the teachings of the LDS Church to see if it was something that I might be able to accept for myself. However, to cut to the chase, I do not believe Joseph Smith was a prophet of God, for several reasons. One of the more recent “documentaries” I came across is an hour long YouTube presentation. I found it to be pretty good and objective. Although you probably have heard everything that is stated in it, I thought I’d share nonetheless. Here’s the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mFdO1wB08&feature=related

    I do hope that your disappointments in the LDS Church have not made you lose your faith in the God and Jesus Christ of the Holy Bible. I do believe that that book is Holy and is the Truth.

    I’ve often asked myself the question “What’s the harm of ‘adding to’ the Holy Bible? What’s the harm in elevating ones morals above those found in the Bible?” (Meaning – what’s the harm in believing all of this “extra stuff” Mormons believe if you do truly believe in all that the Holy Bible has to say.) In years past, I thought there was no harm. However, I now believe that the BoM detracts LDS followers from the true grace which is provided in the Holy Bible. Also, there are several instances where the BoM clearly disagrees with the True teachings which are in the Holy Bible (and I do take big issue with that – as should any true Christian.) Anyway, I’m rambling now.

    I’m sure I’ll visit from time to time. I’d like to keep “anonymous” though as I do not wish to offend any personal Mormon friends and would like to remain open and honest with my beliefs here with you.

  1. Andee Says:

    Good Morning Anonymous,

    I understand that your Mormon friend wouldn't be too happy with the things on my blog. I can promise you one thing, nothing I put up here is a lie. It's all truth.

    After learning how much was kept from me when I was an active member of the church, I have a hard time trusting religion in general. I consider myself agnostic, meaning that I have no idea what brought us here, or what to expect when we die... and thats okay.

    I don't know if there is a God, I would like to think there is. However, I don't need the bible or any other kind of religious context to give me morals. I am a good person with or without religion. Most of my friends in "real life" think I am a huge goody-goody that has no fun. I don't even drink because I just don't like it.

    You are welcome to post here anytime, I am glad to meet you.

    -Syd

  1. Anonymous Says:

    I can understand your hesitation for any belief after what you’ve been through (i.e. feeling defrauded, etc.). I do encourage you to not just dismiss the Holy Bible though. Test it just as you are testing the BoM and the Mormon prophets. I think that book deserves just as much of your attention (or more really in my opinion) as the BoM does. Okay, I’m done “preaching” now (but no promises). :-)

  1. Andee Says:

    I don't find much evidence supporting the Holy Bible either. Take Noah's Ark for example... do you know how unlikely it is that actually happened? I was planning an article on that and I am posting it later today to share my point.

    I respect your views, and I am not putting you down by saying this... but I just don't buy into it. I can't believe it's historical fact like religions want you to believe.

    I believe in what I know as fact.

  1. Soy Yo Says:

    It makes me smile when I see non-mormons actually take the time to read about the church before they commit to joining despite their friends desires. As a missionary, we used to only give people the easy stuff to chew on. I did not know it at the time, but we were lying to them. I feel really bad for those I helped convert. I’m now on the other side trying to open people’s eyes and help them know what the LDS church is really about.

    Anonymous, thank you for having the for-thought to look behind the pretty facade they put up to keep outsiders from seeing how things really are. I think few people are fooled by it now that information is so readily available.

  1. Soy Yo Says:

    It makes me smile when I see non-mormons actually take the time to read about the church before they commit to joining despite their friends desires. As a missionary, we used to only give people the easy stuff to chew on. I did not know it at the time, but we were lying to them. I feel really bad for those I helped convert. I’m now on the other side trying to open people’s eyes and help them know what the LDS church is really about.

    Anonymous, thank you for having the for-thought to look behind the pretty facade they put up to keep outsiders from seeing how things really are. I think few people are fooled by it now that information is so readily available.

  1. Andee Says:

    Soy Yo,

    I agree with you. It's nice to know that anonymous did the homework and didn't take a member's word for it.

    Milk before Meat is a common Mormon phrase. They will tell you the easy things to understand before you are baptized, and after you are baptized you will learn the harder to believe doctrine.

    Thanks as always for the comments, my friend!

  1. Anonymous Says:

    Sydney –

    I won’t lie – it does make me a bit sad that you’ve lost faith in the Bible as well. I’m prepping myself for the reading on your thoughts of Noah’s Ark. I probably won’t respond because I really don’t want to get into a feud of trying to make someone believe. I wouldn’t have made a good missionary when it comes to that.

  1. Andee Says:

    There is no need to feud about anything :) We can do what every grown adult should do... agree to disagree and stay civil on the matter.

    I have had this blog now for about half a year, and it's only a half dozen people or so that have been able to pull that off.

    People are so concerned with being right... they should be concerned with finding common ground.

  1. Anonymous Says:

    I can agree with you on that!

    Okay - I must get to work now before I get in trouble! :-)

  1. Soy Yo Says:

    Sorry about the multi-post hickup. I seem to have a problem commenting here. It looks like my computer does not connect so I do it again...I will wait next time to see if you put it up before I send it again.

  1. Andee Says:

    No need to apologize Soy Yo!

    I understand completely. Computers have hiccups all the time... especially my computer.

    No worries, my friend.