What do I Believe In?

Posted by: Andee / Category: , ,


I was asked in an email a little while ago what I *do* believe in. I thought I would answer the question here instead of entering an argument via email.

I don't believe in any kind of organized religion. Mormonism isn't the only religion I have issues with by any stretch of the imagination... Roomie was raised roman Catholic, and when we talk religion I find issues with his faith as well. I think the way most religions spend money can be careless, and the money could be put to much better use. Just my opinion.

So no, Mormonism isn't the only religion out there that I dislike... it's just the one I happen to be dealing with in my personal life.

I don't know if I believe in God.

Many people cringe when they hear someone say that, but I am being 100% honest here. I don't know what is out there, what happens when we die, or if there is a being up there with complete control over what happens on earth. There is no proof either way.

I would LOVE to believe it. Trust me. I would love to know I could see my Father, Grandmother, aunt, cousins, and friends again. There isn't anything I would want more... but I don't think I need to pledge myself to a specific religion and go through certain ceremonies on earth in order to see them again if they DO exist in some kind of afterlife. As someone once said to me, God isn't petty. If God is up there, he/she/whatever isn't going to judge me because I didn't pick out the right religion or because I wasn't born into the right religion. Let's face it... most people don't change the religion they were born into, and most of those religious people will swear their religion is the right one. God would probably judge what I did for my fellow man, and how honest and kind I was in life. I think I am doing a pretty good job there... at least, I hope so.

Going along with the God thing here... I don't know if I can believe in the Bible either. I certainly don't believe the Book of Mormon... the evidence against that is pretty high, and the evidence for the Bible is almost the same.

I don't think there was a Garden of Eden, or Noah's Ark. If you look at those stories scientifically, you will see how impossible they probably are. I don't buy into it just because I feel that I should to save my soul. I think God would understand that. God gave us brains to use, right? I think I would be doing God a disservice not using mine.

What do I believe in?

I believe that we should help out people who need it. Help your neighbor move, switch shifts with your co-worker who needs to leave early to see their kid in a school play. Pick up the dollar you find on the street and instead of buying a latte, give it to someone who needs it.

I believe we shouldn't judge each other. It's one thing to punish someone because they broke the law and hurt people... don't get me wrong, but you shouldn't judge people by their skin color, sexual orientation, religion, or political beliefs. It's okay to disagree, but to disown someone because they are different isn't very Godlike, and I hope some of my family members read that sentence.

I believe that we are everyday angels. One thing you do today, no matter how small, has the power to change someone else's life... someone you might never meet. Don't forget the power you have, and use it for good and not evil.

I believe in protecting children and animals. Children and animals have pure souls, and they won't hurt unless they are taught to hurt. They feel pain, emotional and physical. You have the power to help them if they need it.

There you have it mystery email guy... my explanation of what I believe in. As you can tell, there are a whole lot of "I don't know," and guess what? That is okay with me. I would rather not know than to spend my life following something that is truly false. I really am more at peace now, even though I know you won't believe me.

-Syd


2 comments:

  1. bindiec Says:

    I'm with you 100%! "I don't know" is my middle name, and I love it. I don't want to know all the mysteries of life. How boring would that be? For me, I guess I still do believe in a God, but not in some guy in a robe sitting in a castle writing "pass" or "fail" on an entrance card.
    I love what you say about children and animals. I believe exactly the same.
    Thanks for sharing. I love the honesty.

  1. Andee Says:

    I love the analogy of the guy sitting at the entrance with a "pass" and "fail" card. Perfect!!

    Thanks for the comments, my friend!!