Holy Ensigns!

Posted by: Andee / Category: , , ,


My Mom got the house! Yay! She is so excited, and so am I! She will live just a couple blocks away from me instead of having to take a 3 and a half hour drive from the middle of nowhere to see me. Unfortunately I can't make the trip to see her for many reasons... she lives on a military base (and I have to have clearance to get in) and I have no car of my own. I would have to rely on others to take me. Who is going to do that? Not many people. Trust me.

Mom is going through all of her old stuff and throwing away things she doesn't need anymore. She is getting new furniture (slowly) for her new place.

She asked me if I wanted her carton full of old Ensign magazines as a joke, and I jumped at the chance. Right now, I am sitting in front of a giant tupperware storage container full of Ensign magazines. Some of them are still in the protective wrappers. These range from 1999 to 2005, and I can't wait to share some of the "OMG" moments I had while flipping through them.

Here is something that caught my eye this morning, don't worry, there will be plenty more to come!

(About fasting) Immediately after returning home from our church meetings and before closing our fast, we have a family gathering in which we bear our testimonies and express our feelings. As our young children have observed their parents and older siblings bear testimony, we have seen their testimony of the gospel grow and their ability to bear pure testimony increase. We have had many joyous experiences that have bound us together spiritually during this family testimony meeting. Ensign, April 2001, page 51.

Hmm, what can I add to that? Well, if a little kid sees his or her own parents, and siblings bear their testimonies over and over again, they are going to do the same thing... don't you think? I think it's far from a pure testimony of the gospel, it's doing what you are shown. Big difference in my opinion.

More to come... much more. I have to go to work now. Damn.


2 comments:

  1. steve-o Says:

    "A testimony is to be found in the bearing of it!"

    Boyd K. Packer, "The Candle of the Lord,", Ensign Jan. 1983, p. 54-55


    I love the circular logic here. Apparently, you can believe anything if you tell yourself it's true enough times.

    Andee, I seriously can't believe you still read the Ensign. I hate seeing them on the counter when they arrive every month. The issue of which you posted an image stares at me every time I go upstairs. Vile.

  1. Anonymous Says:

    You have no idea how excited I am for the continued installments on this one....

    How fun for you and your mom to live near one another! I would love to live near you too (but you couldn't pay me enough to move to UT, ok maybe you could but it would be at least 250k a year...).

    Kids do whatever you do. I have this weird habit of wrapping a paper towel around whatever cup I am drinking out of because I cannot stand the water on the side. I fold the paper towel in half and wrap the cup. One day I watched as my 4 year old nephew was trying to tear a paper towel in half so he could do the same thing (he didn't realize it was folded not torn). Does that mean his testimony of wrapping paper towels around cups was true, or that he just liked his auntie and was copying me? Hmmmm, should be interesting to see.

    I cannot wait to hear what articles on women you find...