No Earrings? At all?

Posted by: Andee / Category: , ,


I have never been a "girly-girl." I had my ears pierced in the 5th grade, and they have since grown in. I can't wear earrings personally, so this isn't something that has effected me personally. I just think it's weird.

A quote in a widely-distributed LDS pamphlet said this about piercings:

"Latter-day prophets strongly discourage the piercing of the body except for medical purposes. If girls or woman desire to have their ears pierced, they are encouraged to wear only one pair of modest earrings. Those who choose to disregard this counsel sow a lack of respect for themselves and for God. They will someday regret their decisions."

Wow. Am I the only one who is scratching my head right now? No piercings at all? Really? I remember hearing about no more than one piercing in the ear, but this is news to me. I guess I was taught what my local ward wanted to believe.

So, those who disregard the counsel of piercing their ears are flipping the bird to the prophet, the apostles, and God Himself. Ummm... what?

It's just jewelry, gentlemen.

Gordon B. Hinkley had this to say:

"I submit that it is an uncomely thing, and yet a common thing, to see young men with ears pierced for earrings, not for one pair only, but for several. They have no respect for their appearance. Do they think it clever or attractive to so adorn themselves?"

"I submit it is not adornment. It is making ugly that which was attractive. Not only are ears pierced, but other parts of the body as well, even the tongue. It is absurd."

"We—the First Presidency and the Council of the Twelve—have taken the position, and I quote, that “the Church discourages tattoos. It also discourages the piercing of the body for other than medical purposes, although it takes no position on the minimal piercing of the ears by women for one pair of earrings.”"

- Gordon B. Hinckley, “Your Greatest Challenge, Mother,” Ensign, Nov. 2000, 97
This actually pisses me off.

Know what Gordo? Wanna know what I find absurd? A group of old white guys making decisions on what should and shouldn't make someone beautiful or pretty. That isn't a decision you should be making. Sorry.

If someone has more than one piercing, they have no respect for their appearance? Who the hell is this guy? It's strange statements like this that make the church stick out like a sore thumb to churches who actually THINK before they speak. He is also telling people that if they have more than one piercing they are making themselves ugly. Is no one else offended here?

It's the first time I have read these comments personally, so bear with me... it's just bizarre.

Of course, there are believing members who immediately took out their second pair of earrings when they heard him say these words. Obedience.

It's truly all about image. If you want to be labeled as a Mormon, you have to be clean-cut. You can't look like someone who has his/her own style. You have to fit the mold.

What would stop any prophet from mentioning what our hair should look like? Oh, only natural colors... right.

What kinds of clothes we should wear? Oh, wait... that one has already been done.

How do we know if this is revelation or just his personal feeling on the matter? Can we tell? Should we pray about it?

Does God really care if you have piercings? Tattoos? I don't have either, so it's not a personal thing.. it's just that there are so many other things we could be worrying about and fixing. There are people hungry, people who need vaccines, there are families living in the prophet's own county that survive by living in a tent and going to soup kitchens.

The whole thing drives me nuts. Who the hell cares?

Andee

P.S. I fell in love with the pair of earrings in the last photo. If you want know know more about them, click on the picture to the artist's blog!


3 comments:

  1. Anonymous Says:

    as i live in a rather progressive town, i have to agree that a ton of piercings can be, well, unsightly. of course, that's my opinion and it remains unforced on others.

    what i can't agree with, however, is the church disparaging something (piercings, body art and body mods) that has been a part of cultures for hundreds and thousands of years. i really do think that if GOD was mad about them, there would have been some smiting a LOOONG time ago.

  1. Anonymous Says:

    I am with you Andee...who's to say what is pretty or ugly? When I was 14 ( I grew up a member) I went to the airport to pick up a distant cousin who I hadn't seen in years. He walked off the airplane with dozens of tatoos and earings and long dark black hair. Naturally (because of what was engrained in me)...I had a preconcieved idea of what he would be like. Totally not the case...he ended up being one of the nicest, most intellegent, professional, and family oriented men I've ever met. We're still super close 12 years later...he taught me that outter apprearances don't always tell what's inside. FYI...lots of clean cut guys at institue (who had no earrings) were REALLY ugly pigs on the inside (BUT they all had church callings and temple reccommends) Go figure.

  1. Andee Says:

    Thanks for the comments guys!

    Appearance is everything to the church. They know that the doctrine is truly questionable at best (at least it would appear that way to those who hear it for the first time). If they don't have the squeaky clean image, people would have less desire to be a part of the organization.

    It's crazy to think that God had anything to do with this.

    It's so weird... they could make up some weird thing.. like faithful Mormons shouldn't eat crackers. People would believe it and follow the council though, because they put all their faith into it.

    Hinkley said that he thought the earrings were ugly. The key work is "HE." Not everyone else. It's so arrogant.